Chavez drops out of N.M. Senate race; Udall likely nominee

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2007
      http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/1207/Chavez_drops_out_of_NM_Senate_race_Udall_likely_nominee.html

      December 07, 2007
      Read More: Campaigns

      Chavez drops out of N.M. Senate race; Udall likely
      nominee

      Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chavez (D) announced he is
      dropping out of the New Mexico Senate race Friday
      night, allowing Democrats to avoid the likelihood of a
      hotly contested and negative primary for the
      nomination.

      His decision all but guarantees Rep. Tom Udall
      (D-N.M.) will win the Democratic nomination for
      retiring Sen. Pete Domenici’s (R-N.M.) seat

      “While I deeply appreciate all the support I have
      received, it has become very clear to me that
      Democrats should not be divided in the upcoming
      election,” Chavez said in a statement.

      “It is crucial to the future of New Mexico and this
      country that a Democrat become the next U.S. Senator.
      A hotly contested primary, as this one certainly could
      be, would likely dramatically weaken the Democratic
      nominee and place the general election in jeopardy… To
      that end, I pledge my full support for Tom Udall for
      U.S. Senate, and I encourage all New Mexicans to
      support Tom as well.”

      Until recently, Chavez had been aggressively attacking
      Udall for his congressional record. He told Politico
      last month that Udall was a “congressman who is not
      known for having done anything.”

      Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Chairman
      Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) helped persuade Udall to change
      his mind and jump in the race, concerned that Chavez
      would have trouble winning a general election. Upon
      Domenici's retirement, Udall initially said he wanted
      to remain in the House.

      Republicans are facing a competitive primary of their
      own between Rep. Heather Wilson (R-N.M.) and Steve
      Pearce (R-N.M.).