Edwards vs. Colbert

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2007
      http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003664453

      Stephen Colbert Launches Campaign in South Carolina --
      Edwards' Campaign Gets Hot About It

      By E&P Staff

      Published: October 28, 2007 4:15 PM ET

      NEW YORK Stephen Colbert launched his native son
      candidacy for president in South Carolina today -- and
      drew comparisons with Christ while earning the wrath
      of another native, former Sen. John Edwards.

      Columbia, S.C., Mayor Bob Coble presented the "Comedy
      Central" hero a key to the city, declared him South
      Carolina's "favorite son" and officially proclaimed it
      Stephen Colbert day. Some in the crowd held signs with
      images of Colbert and Jesus that read, "Colbert.
      Christ. Favorite Sons '08."

      Colbert said he was honored to receive the key to the
      city and said he "loves South Carolina, almost as much
      as South Carolina loves" him.

      Meanwhile, The State newspaper in Columbia this
      weekend published a side-by-side comparison of the two
      native sons -- drawing a reply by the Edwards campaign
      contesting the findings.

      For one thing, Edwards' hair was described as
      "naturally fluffy" while Colbert's is "very stiff."
      But trouble started when Colbert was quoted on his
      opponent: “John Edwards left South Carolina when he
      was 1 year old. He had his chance. Saying his parents
      moved him — that’s the easy answer.”

      This prompted the Edwards campaign to send out to the
      media the following:

      "RHETORIC VS REALITY: STEPHEN COLBERT - PLAYING LOOSE
      WITH THE FACTS.

      "CLAIM: Edwards abandoned South Carolina when he was
      one year old.

      "FACT: Edwards was born in South Carolina, learned to
      walk in South Carolina, learned to talk to in South
      Carolina, and will kick Stephen Colbert's New York
      City butt in South Carolina.

      "Stephen Colbert claims to represent a new kind of
      politics, but today we see he's participating in the
      slash and burn politics that has no place in American
      discourse. The truthiness is, as the candidate of
      Doritos, Colbert's hands are stained by corporate
      corruption and nacho cheese. John Edwards has never
      taken a dime from salty food lobbyists and America
      deserves a President who isn't in the pocket of the
      snack food special interests."

      Colbert, at the campus of the University of South
      Carolina today, told several hundred sign-waving fans
      that he'll take care of the rival state to the south.
      "I promise, if elected, I will crush the state of
      Georgia," Colbert said to the cheering crowd.

      Colbert added, "Our peaches are more numerous than
      Georgia's. They are more juiciful."

      The host of "The Colbert Report," announced his
      candidacy recently, saying he would run only in this
      key primary state and as a Democrat and a Republican.