Jindal wins Louisiana governor's race

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2007
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071021/ap_po/louisiana_governor;_ylt=AlIWD.NVhK6zYtzbuou5cYOs0NUE

      Jindal wins Louisiana governor's race

      By MELINDA DESLATTE, Associated Press Writer 2 minutes
      ago

      BATON ROUGE, La. - U.S. Rep. Bobby Jindal won the
      Louisiana governor's race Saturday, becoming the
      nation's youngest governor and the first non-white to
      hold the state's post since Reconstruction.

      Jindal, the 36-year-old son of Indian immigrants,
      carried more than half the vote against 11 opponents.
      With about 87 percent of the vote in, Jindal had 53
      percent with 588,002 — more than enough to win
      outright and avoid a Nov. 17 runoff.

      His nearest competitors: Democrat Walter Boasso with
      196,104 votes or 18 percent; Independent John Georges
      had 156,962 votes or 14 percent; Democrat Foster
      Campbell with 141,346 or 13 percent. Eight candidates
      divided the rest.

      "I'm asking all of our supporters to get behind our
      new governor," Georges said in a concession speech.

      The Oxford-educated Jindal had lost the governor's
      race four years ago to Gov. Kathleen Blanco. He won
      the a congressional seat in conservative suburban New
      Orleans a year later but was widely believed to have
      his eye on the governor's mansion.

      Blanco opted not to run for re-election after she was
      widely blamed for the state's slow response to
      hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005.

      When he takes office in January, Jindal will become
      the nation's youngest governor in office.