NYT: Kennedy Aide Back in Iowa for Obama

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2007
      http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/02/kennedy-aide-back-in-iowa-for-obama/
      October 2, 2007, 9:56 pm
      Kennedy Aide Back in Iowa for Obama

      By Adam Nagourney

      IOWA CITY â€" Ted Sorensen, the speechwriter and adviser to John F.
      Kennedy, was in Iowa tonight on hand to introduce â€" and attest to the
      credentials â€" of Senator Barack Obama as he delivered his foreign
      policy speech for the third time today.

      Mr. Sorensen recounted how on the drive here from Des Moines, he did
      an interview with a newspaper that reminded him that this was not his
      first time here with a young presidential candidate.

      “I was being interviewed by an editor from Iowa newspaper from, from,”
      Mr. Sorensen paused, â€" “Carroll, Iowa,” came the shout from the back
      of the crowd, Tommy Vietor, Mr. Obama’s Iowa press secretary, who had
      lent Mr. Sorensen his cell phone for the interview. Mr. Sorensen
      smiled his thanks.

      “He said that in late fall of 1959, I was in Carroll, Iowa with
      Senator John F. Kennedy,” Mr. Sorensen said. “So I’m glad to be back
      with another young senator who is also going to be president of the
      United States.”

      Mr. Sorensen is 79 and has lost much of his vision. He was escorted by
      the elbow to the lectern by an Obama aide, who positioned him in front
      of the microphone â€" at which point Mr. Sorensen demonstrated that if
      his eyesight had dimmed, his tongue had not;

      “Don’t worry about all these people helping me find the podium,” he
      said. “My eyesight is not so good but I have more vision than the
      president of the United States.”