Tourist beats McCain, Brownback,Tancredo in Texas straw poll

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 6:21 AM
      http://www.texasobserver.org/blog/?p=587

      And the Winner Is….
      September 1st, 2007 at 4:21 pm

      The results of the Texas presidential straw poll were
      just announced, and Congressman Duncan Hunter blew
      away the diminished field, receiving 41 percent of the
      vote. Perhaps more surprising was the strong showing
      of second-place finisher: former senator and “Law and
      Order” star Fred Thompson, who just announced his
      candidacy this week, kinda. He took 20 percent of the
      vote.

      Texas Congressman Ron Paul, who had the most visible
      support this weekend, finished third with 16.7
      percent. Rudy Giuliani and Mike Huckabee each garnered
      6 percent, and Mitt Romney received 4.7 percent.

      And then there’s Ray McKinney — a Georgia Republican
      who on a whim decided to run for president during his
      vacation time and who during his speech today thanked
      delegates for “not taking this time to go to the
      bathroom and listening to me” — received 2.2 percent.
      That placed him ahead of Sen. John McCain, Sen. Sam
      Brownback, and Congressman Tom Tancredo, who all
      tallied less than 1 percent.

      A total of 1,300 delegates cast votes, far short of
      the number that party officials hoped would turn out
      and nowhere close to the turnout for even the most
      sparsely attended state conventions. It certainly
      didn’t help when all the major candidates opted not to
      participate. At the end of the day, the big loser at
      Texas’ first Republican presidential straw poll was
      the state party.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2 7:02 AM
        In short, Hunter received enough votes to get a city council seat of a
        small town.

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...>