Sen. Craig resigns over sex sting

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070901/ap_on_go_co/craig_arrest

      Sen. Craig resigns over sex sting

      By JOHN MILLER and MATTHEW DALY, Associated Press
      Writers 3 minutes ago

      BOISE, Idaho - Idaho Sen. Larry Craig resigned
      Saturday over a men's room sex sting, bowing to
      pressure from fellow Republicans worried about a
      scandal dimming their election prospects.

      "I apologize for what I have caused," Craig said.

      Craig's resignation completed a stunning downfall that
      began Monday with the disclosure that he had pleaded
      guilty to a reduced charge following his arrest during
      a sex sting in a Minneapolis airport men's room.

      Although leading members of his own party had called
      for him to step down, Craig steadfastly resisted
      resigning for days, contending that he had done
      nothing wrong and that his only mistake was pleading
      guilty to a misdemeanor charge.

      Craig was defiant after the arrest and guilty plea
      were first reported. "I am not gay. I never have been
      gay," he declared Tuesday in Boise, Idaho, with his
      wife, Suzanne, at his side. He said he had kept the
      incident from aides, friends and family and later
      pleaded guilty "in hopes of making it go away."

      Craig, 62, has represented Idaho in Congress for more
      than a quarter-century and was up for re-election next
      year. He had not said if he would run for a fourth
      term in 2008 and was expected to announce his plans
      this fall.

      "It is with sadness and deep regret that I announce it
      is my intention to resign from the Senate effective
      Sept. 30," Craig said, with his wife again at his side
      and Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter standing behind him.

      "For any public official at this moment in time to be
      standing with Larry Craig is in itself a humbling
      experience," Craig said.

      Craig was arrested June 11 in a police undercover vice
      operation in a men's room at the Minneapolis airport.
      The arresting officer, Sgt. Dave Karsnia, said in his
      report that the restroom is known location for
      homosexual activity.

      "I am not gay. I never have been gay," Craig said at a
      news conference here Tuesday, a day after his guilty
      plea became public.

      Republicans, worried about the scandal's effect on
      next year's election, suffered a further setback
      Friday when veteran Republican Sen. John Warner
      announced he will retire rather than seek a sixth
      term. Democrats captured Virginia's other Senate seat
      from the GOP in the 2006 election.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007
        Two other points concerning the GOP's differing
        reactions to the sex scandals of Craig and Vitter. A
        male soliciting a female prostitute plays a lot
        differently in New Orleans than a male soliciting sex
        from another male plays in Boise. More importantly,
        Louisiana has a Democratic governor who would
        probably appoint a Democrat to replace Vitter and
        Idaho has a Republican governor, so the seat is safe
        in Craig's absence.