Senator pleads to disorderly conduct

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27 4:43 PM
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070827/ap_on_go_co/craig_arrest;_ylt=AgLPOBHtUaatwq5g4gYkAAus0NUE

      Senator pleads to disorderly conduct

      18 minutes ago

      MINNEAPOLIS - Sen. Larry Craig of Idaho pleaded guilty
      this month to misdemeanor disorderly conduct after
      being arrested at the Minneapolis airport.

      A Hennepin County court docket showed Craig pleading
      guilty to the disorderly conduct charge Aug. 8, with
      the court dismissing a charge of gross misdemeanor
      interference to privacy.

      The court docket said the Republican senator was fined
      $1,000, plus $575 in fees. He was put on unsupervised
      probation for a year. A sentence of 10 days in the
      county workhouse was stayed.

      Roll Call, a Capitol Hill newspaper, which first
      reported the case, said on its Web site Monday that
      Craig was arrested June 11 by a plainclothes officer
      investigating complaints of lewd conduct in a men's
      restroom at the airport.

      Craig said in a statement issued by his office that he
      was not involved in any inappropriate conduct.

      "At the time of this incident, I complained to the
      police that they were misconstruing my actions," he
      said. "I should have had the advice of counsel in
      resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have
      pled guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself
      quickly and expeditiously."

      Craig, 62, is married and in his third term in the
      Senate. He is up for re-election next year. He was a
      member of the House for 10 years before winning
      election to the Senate in 1990.

      Sidney Smith, a Craig aide in Boise, said Monday
      afternoon that the senator was "in the (Boise) area"
      but was declining to give interviews.

      Minneapolis airport police declined to provide a copy
      of the arrest report after business hours Monday.

      Roll Call, citing the report, said Sgt. Dave Karsnia
      made the arrest after an encounter in which he was
      seated in a stall next to a stall occupied by Craig.
      Karsnia described Craig tapping his foot, which
      Karsnia said he "recognized as a signal used by
      persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct."

      Roll Call quoted the Aug. 8 police report as saying
      that Craig had handed the arresting officer a business
      card that identified him as a member of the Senate.

      "What do you think about that?" Craig is alleged to
      have said, according to the report.

      Last fall, Craig called allegations from a gay-rights
      activist that he's had homosexual relationships
      "completely ridiculous."

      Mike Rogers, who bills himself as a gay activist
      blogger, published the allegations on his Web site,
      http://www.blogactive.com, in October 2006.