"Ill-Fated Adventure in Iraq": Reyes' Statement on NIE

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2007
      http://newspapertree.com/news/1539--ill-fated-adventure-in-iraq-reyes-statement-on-nie

      "Ill-Fated Adventure in Iraq": Reyes' Statement on NIE

      by NPT Staff

      "Today’s National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) rebuts
      the President’s statement and confirms for the public
      what many of us have known for quite some time – that
      al Qaeda has been permitted to rebuild." -- from a
      statement by Congressman Silvestre Reyes, D-TX,
      Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on
      Intelligence, in response to the new National
      Intelligence Estimate, “The Terrorist Threat to the
      U.S. Homeland.”

      Posted on July 17, 2007

      Editor's note: The following News release was sent to
      the NPT News Desk

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – July 17, 2007

      Contact: Kira Maas: (202) 225-4831 or (202) 225-2912
      (cell)

      http://intelligence.house.gov

      Reyes statement on today’s NIE on the Terrorist Threat
      to the US Homeland

      Washington, DC – Congressman Silvestre Reyes, D-TX,
      Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on
      Intelligence, released the following statement today
      “The Terrorist Threat to the U.S. Homeland,” released
      by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence
      today:

      “Four years ago, President Bush declared, ‘Al Qaeda is
      on the run. That group of terrorists who attacked our
      country is slowly, but surely being decimated. . . .
      they're not a problem anymore.’

      “Today’s National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) rebuts
      the President’s statement and confirms for the public
      what many of us have known for quite some time – that
      al Qaeda has been permitted to rebuild.

      “The Administration’s ill-fated misadventure in Iraq –
      at a cost of $10 billion a month – has diverted needed
      resources from eliminating the threat from al Qaeda.
      As a 2006 NIE on terrorism noted, our war in Iraq has
      become a recruiting tool and training ground for
      terrorists. Moreover, the NIE released today points
      out that the real threat to the U.S. homeland emanates
      from Afghanistan and Pakistan, not Iraq. And this
      Administration has missed opportunities to address
      that threat.

      “We must remain vigilant and focused on the terrorist
      threat and must ensure that we focus our nation’s
      resources on preventing another attack on the
      homeland.

      “As Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, I am
      committed to giving our intelligence professionals all
      the resources they need to learn the intentions, track
      the communications, and disrupt the plots of
      terrorists. That is why our Committee passed an
      intelligence funding bill that provides our nation’s
      greatest investment to date in intelligence, with
      emphasis on human intelligence, training, technical
      collection, and analysis. The bill added additional
      funding for linguist training, provided funds to send
      more analysts overseas, and enhanced our critical
      counterterrorism capabilities.

      “While our bill provided intelligence professionals
      with these additional resources, we remain prepared to
      do more. Since 9/11, Congress has updated the Foreign
      Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) about a dozen
      times, and we are ready to make adjustments to our
      laws, if careful scrutiny reveals that more changes
      are necessary.

      “This recent NIE indicates that we must once again
      refocus our national resources on the terrorism
      threat. I am deeply concerned that the Administration
      has not provided the NSA and the Justice Department
      with enough resources – specifically, analysts and
      linguists – to track communications of suspected
      terrorists, and I am urging them to close that
      critical gap immediately.

      “Some in Congress want to make terrorism a political
      issue. I want to encourage my Republican colleagues to
      join Democrats in working on bipartisan solutions to
      keep America safe. There is no room for partisan
      politics in the realm of national security.”

      ###

      Kira Maas

      Press Secretary

      Congressman Silvestre Reyes

      2433 Rayburn House Office Building

      (202) 225-4831

      (202) 225-2912 (cell)

      Please visit Congressman Reyes' website at
      www.house.gov/reyes to sign up for his e-mail newsletter.