CIA dissenters aided secret prisons report: author

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2007
      Does anyone remember that a year or two ago when names
      were being suggested for the the UN Secretary-General,
      the Eastern Europeans wanted to submit a candidate
      (instead of only Asians submitting, as it was their
      turn) and there were rumors that Aleksander
      Kwasniewski (mentioned near the end of this story) had
      U.S. support? I don't think his name was ever formally
      put in the running though.

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070717/pl_nm/eu_cia_dc;_ylt=AlStIEjzstTZIXFeLUYjnP7MWM0F

      CIA dissenters aided secret prisons report: author

      By Marcin Grajewski Tue Jul 17, 9:17 AM ET

      BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Dissident U.S. intelligence
      officers angry at former Defense Secretary Donald
      Rumsfeld helped a European probe uncover details of
      secret CIA prisons in Europe, the top investigator
      said on Tuesday.

      Swiss Senator Dick Marty, author of a Council of
      Europe report on the jails, said senior CIA officials
      disapproved of Rumsfeld's methods in hunting down
      terrorist suspects, and had agreed to talk to him on
      condition of anonymity.

      "There were huge conflicts between the CIA and
      Rumsfeld. Many leading figures in the CIA did not
      accept these methods at all," Marty told European
      Parliament committees, defending his work against
      complaints it was based on unnamed sources.

      The report issued last month said the Central
      Intelligence Agency ran secret jails in Poland and
      Romania, with the complicity of those governments, and
      transported terrorist suspects across Europe in secret
      flights.

      Poland and Romania have repeatedly denied hosting CIA
      prisons on their soil.

      "People in the CIA felt these things were not
      consonant with the sort of intelligence work they
      normally do," Marty said.

      He said he had based his findings largely on
      conversations with "high officials of the CIA (and)
      highly placed European office-holders, who for
      different reasons, often honorable reasons, were ready
      to explain what had happened."

      Since he had no power to summon witnesses, subpoena
      documents or search buildings, he was forced to rely
      on such evidence, Marty said.

      "ADMISSIONS"

      "The Americans themselves admitted there were secret
      prisons, that they abducted people from the streets,
      that people were handed over to countries like Syria,
      Yemen, Egypt where they were tortured," he said.

      U.S. President George W. Bush acknowledged last year
      that the CIA had held top al Qaeda suspects in secret
      overseas detention centers but did not say in which
      countries.

      "The president of United States made a very important
      statement..., I think we can all expect ... in the
      near future further admissions," said Marty.

      He also said he would not remove name of former Polish
      and Romanian government officials from the report,
      although they threatened on Tuesday to take legal
      action against the senator.

      The report said former Polish national security
      adviser Marek Siwiec and former Romanian Defense
      Minister Ioan Pascu knew their countries had hosted
      secret CIA detention centers.

      "I have no reason to withdraw his name. I would
      certainly not be prepared to apologies. He knew
      exactly what was happening as did his president,"
      Marty told a news conference, referring to Siwiec and
      former Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski.

      "I am not shaking in my shoes," he said of the libel
      suit that Siwiec vowed to launch in a Polish court
      unless Marty removed his name from the report within
      seven days.

      Pascu challenged Marty in the hearing to substantiate
      his allegations or withdraw them, but the Swiss
      legislator did not respond directly.