Re: [prezveepsenator] Public pays respects at LBJ Library

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2007
      I was pleased that Nancy Reagan attended and
      disappointed that neither George Bush attended,
      especially with the Texas connection.

      http://www.statesman.com/news/content/shared/news/stories/ladybird/07/14/0714ladybird.html
> [...]
      > Chavez Street and the sidewalks are free of debris
      > and other hazards.
      > Barricades are ready to be put up as needed, and
      > extra employees are
      > ready to help with street sweeping.
      >
      > That final public event in the three days of
      > memorials and services
      > will begin at 9 a.m. at the Capitol at 11th Street
      > and Congress
      > Avenue. The cortege will end in Johnson City about
      > an hour and a half
      > later. Then Mrs. Johnson's casket will be taken to
      > the LBJ Ranch for a
      > private burial.
      >
      > At the opening of the LBJ Library vigil Friday, Luci
      > Johnson shook
      > hands, hugged strangers, bent down to nuzzle babies
      > in strollers,
      > spoke to children and saluted the nearly 60 staff
      > members and students
      > from the LBJ School of Public Affairs who had
      > marched to the library
      > together, led by Elspeth Rostow, former dean of the
      > school and widow
      > of President Johnson's national security adviser,
      > Walt Rostow.
      >
      > Sometimes Luci Johnson laughed, and sometimes she
      > teared up, but
      > mostly she smiled and thanked people for coming.
      >
      > "Thank you for loving her," she told many of the
      > strangers who filed
      > through the door. "Thank you for loving her."
      >
      > The public mourners were startled by Luci's personal
      > greeting. Many
      > were moved to tears by her graciousness and wiped
      > their eyes.
      >
      > Though Lynda Johnson Robb, the Johnsons' elder
      > daughter, did not come
      > down to meet the public, Luci Johnson always
      > mentioned her sister's
      > deep gratitude, too, as she mingled with the
      > mourners she did not know.
      >
      > One man told her, "I think your mother was one of
      > the greatest things
      > to come out of the state of Texas."
      >
      > "Needless to say," Luci Johnson said, "I share your
      > wisdom."
      >
      > One pint-sized girl named Sadie Bird Schriftman
      > walked up to the
      > former president's daughter and said, "I was named
      > after your mother."
      >
      > "Oh, how wonderful!" Luci Johnson told her. "I have
      > a little girl and
      > my little girl is named Claudia. And do you know who
      > she was named for?"
      >
      > Blond-haired Sadie Bird, 4 1/2, who was chewing on
      > some gum, shook her
      > head.
      >
      > "She was named for my mother, too. My mother had two
      > names; one was
      > Lady Bird, and that's who you were named for, and
      > her real name was
      > Claudia. Let's ask the people around here, 'Did
      > anyone call my mother
      > Claudia?' "
      >
      > The others in line answered with a loud chorus of
      > "Nooo."
      >
      > "Did anybody call my mother, 'Bird?' " Luci Johnson

      === message truncated ===
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2007
        Local news said that in addition to all the White House connections in
        the article, the Eisenhowers also sent someone to Austin yesterday. I
        wonder who in the Eisenhower family was there yesterday.

        It was such a touching and beautiful memorial service. Bill Moyers'
        speech was typically Bill Moyers with his personal memories going back
        to LBJ's Senate years. I couldn't help but shed a few tears when her
        granddaughters and daughters delivered their final tribute.

        Thanks god for Lady Bird Johnson.

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2007
          Amen!

          --- Ram Lau <ramlau@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > route of Sunday
          > > > morning's ceremonial cortege, making sure
          > Congress
          > > > Avenue and Cesar
          > > > Chavez Street and the sidewalks are free of
          > debris
          > > > and other hazards.
          > > > Barricades are ready to be put up as needed, and
          > > > extra employees are
          > > > ready to help with street sweeping.
          > > >
          > > > That final public event in the three days of
          > > > memorials and services
          > > > will begin at 9 a.m. at the Capitol at 11th
          > Street
          > > > and Congress
          > > > Avenue. The cortege will end in Johnson City
          > about
          > > > an hour and a half
          > > > later. Then Mrs. Johnson's casket will be taken
          > > > the LBJ Ranch for a
          > > > private burial.
          > > >
          > > > At the opening of the LBJ Library vigil Friday,

          === message truncated ===