Public pays respects at LBJ Library

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14, 2007
      http://www.statesman.com/news/content/shared/news/stories/ladybird/07/14/0714ladybird.html
      Public pays respects at LBJ Library
      Lady Bird lying in repose until 11 a.m. Saturday.
      By Denise Gamino
      AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
      Saturday, July 14, 2007

      Luci Baines Johnson had more than grief on her mind as she stood by
      her mother's casket in the LBJ Library's towering Great Hall.

      It was just minutes before the library was to open Friday afternoon
      for the hundreds of mourners gathered outside since 6:45 a.m. for a
      chance to pay their respects to Lady Bird Johnson. The family had just
      locked arms to recite the Lord's Prayer, and then took turns kissing
      and caressing Mrs. Johnson's closed casket.

      But Luci Johnson was thinking of the 90-degree heat on the
      sun-splashed plaza outside the library, where hundreds of people
      waited behind candy cane-striped ropes.

      No one seemed to notice Luci slip away from the family and join
      granddaughter Eloise McIntosh, 7, who was exploring downstairs. Luci,
      with Eloise, marched to the library's front doors and asked guards to
      let the public come inside.

      My mother "wouldn't have wanted you all to be out in this heat," she
      told the crowd. "She would have said, 'Thank you. Thank you.' Come get
      cool. Welcome to your library."

      The public vigil that began so dramatically continued through the
      night; there were at least 5,000 daytime visitors paying final
      respects, library officials said. The vigil will conclude at 11 a.m.
      today so the family and some 2,000 invited guests can prepare for this
      afternoon's private funeral service at Riverbend Centre.

      First lady Laura Bush is expected to attend that service along with
      her mother-in-law, former first lady Barbara Bush. Other expected
      dignitaries include former President Clinton and former first lady
      Sen. Hillary Clinton, former President Carter and former first lady
      Rosalynn Carter, former first lady Nancy Reagan, Caroline Kennedy and
      Ed Schlossberg, Maria Shriver, Tricia Nixon Cox, Susan Ford Bales and
      Gov. Rick Perry and Anita Perry.

      Members of Texas' congressional delegation who plan to attend include
      Republican Sens. Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn, and Rep.
      Michael McCaul, R-Austin.

      Austin police will provide escorts for today's funeral procession to
      Riverbend and will assist the U.S. Secret Service with any escort of
      dignitaries, Austin police spokeswoman Laura Albrecht said.

      Roads around Riverbend, which is at 4214 N. Capital of Texas Highway
      (Loop 360) near Lake Austin, will not be closed, but police are urging
      people to take alternate routes if possible during the funeral,
      Albrecht said.

      At the Riverbend service several family members, including Mrs.
      Johnson's daughters Luci Baines Johnson and Lynda Johnson Robb and her
      granddaughters Lucinda and Catherine Robb and Nicole Covert, will
      offer tributes. Johnson family friends Tom Johnson, Harry Middleton
      and Bill Moyers also will offer remembrances.

      At the Four Seasons downtown, hotel staff members are making an extra
      effort to accommodate out-of-town guests who need transportation to
      the events, clothes dry cleaned at the last minute or recommendations
      for dinner, said Kerri Holden, the hotel's public relations director.

      "We don't want them to have to worry about the details of their trip,"
      Holden said.

      City of Austin employees have been monitoring the route of Sunday
      morning's ceremonial cortege, making sure Congress Avenue and Cesar
      Chavez Street and the sidewalks are free of debris and other hazards.
      Barricades are ready to be put up as needed, and extra employees are
      ready to help with street sweeping.

      That final public event in the three days of memorials and services
      will begin at 9 a.m. at the Capitol at 11th Street and Congress
      Avenue. The cortege will end in Johnson City about an hour and a half
      later. Then Mrs. Johnson's casket will be taken to the LBJ Ranch for a
      private burial.

      At the opening of the LBJ Library vigil Friday, Luci Johnson shook
      hands, hugged strangers, bent down to nuzzle babies in strollers,
      spoke to children and saluted the nearly 60 staff members and students
      from the LBJ School of Public Affairs who had marched to the library
      together, led by Elspeth Rostow, former dean of the school and widow
      of President Johnson's national security adviser, Walt Rostow.

      Sometimes Luci Johnson laughed, and sometimes she teared up, but
      mostly she smiled and thanked people for coming.

      "Thank you for loving her," she told many of the strangers who filed
      through the door. "Thank you for loving her."

      The public mourners were startled by Luci's personal greeting. Many
      were moved to tears by her graciousness and wiped their eyes.

      Though Lynda Johnson Robb, the Johnsons' elder daughter, did not come
      down to meet the public, Luci Johnson always mentioned her sister's
      deep gratitude, too, as she mingled with the mourners she did not know.

      One man told her, "I think your mother was one of the greatest things
      to come out of the state of Texas."

      "Needless to say," Luci Johnson said, "I share your wisdom."

      One pint-sized girl named Sadie Bird Schriftman walked up to the
      former president's daughter and said, "I was named after your mother."

      "Oh, how wonderful!" Luci Johnson told her. "I have a little girl and
      my little girl is named Claudia. And do you know who she was named for?"

      Blond-haired Sadie Bird, 4 1/2, who was chewing on some gum, shook her
      head.

      "She was named for my mother, too. My mother had two names; one was
      Lady Bird, and that's who you were named for, and her real name was
      Claudia. Let's ask the people around here, 'Did anyone call my mother
      Claudia?' "

      The others in line answered with a loud chorus of "Nooo."

      "Did anybody call my mother, 'Bird?' " Luci Johnson asked.

      Yes, the crowd responded.

      "So you've got the name that most people called her."

      Then little Sadie Bird spoke up again. "You know what? I feel bad that
      she's died."

      "Oh, I feel bad, too," Luci said. "But do you like pretty flowers?"

      Sadie Bird said yes.

      "All right then, you just go make sure that you take care of all of
      our land and our beautiful flowers, and you know what, you'll make
      your namesake proud."

      The hearse carrying Mrs. Johnson's unvarnished oak casket had arrived
      at 12:30 p.m., and it was met by a bagpiper playing "God Bless
      America." An honor guard of military pallbearers carried the casket,
      which was covered with a large spray of wildflowers in hues of orange,
      yellow, pink and cream.

      A short procession of 180 steps across the plaza began. Bagpiper Nick
      Classen, who played "Amazing Grace," was followed by the Rev. Stephen
      Kinney; then came the honor guard with Mrs. Johnson's casket. Lynda
      and Chuck Robb and Luci Johnson and her husband, Ian Turpin, walked
      behind the casket.

      The two sisters reached for each other's hands and clutched them
      tightly, and, with their husbands at their sides, they entered the
      library four abreast.

      Inside, the flowers were removed from the casket and a lavishly
      embroidered Episcopalian pall from St. David's church in downtown
      Austin was placed atop the coffin.

      Mrs. Johnson's grandchildren and great-grandchildren awaited the
      procession at the top of the library's grand staircase, some dabbing
      their eyes with tissues and some shifting their feet nervously. After
      the military honor guard carried Mrs. Johnson's casket up to the Great
      Hall, the family gathered around, held one another and prayed.

      Then they stepped back, and, one by one or two by two, various family
      members stepped up to lay hands on the casket or rub it or hug it.
      Even 1-year-old Madeline Florio, granddaughter of Lynda and Chuck
      Robb, touched the casket several times while sucking on a pacifier.

      dgamino@...; 445-3675

      Additional material from staff writers Katie Humphey, Patrick George
      and Joshunda Sanders.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2007
        I was pleased that Nancy Reagan attended and
        disappointed that neither George Bush attended,
        especially with the Texas connection.

> [...]
        > walked up to the
        > former president's daughter and said, "I was named
        > after your mother."
        >
        > "Oh, how wonderful!" Luci Johnson told her. "I have
        > a little girl and
        > my little girl is named Claudia. And do you know who
        > she was named for?"
        >
        > Blond-haired Sadie Bird, 4 1/2, who was chewing on
        > some gum, shook her
        > head.
        >
        > "She was named for my mother, too. My mother had two
        > names; one was
        > Lady Bird, and that's who you were named for, and
        > her real name was
        > Claudia. Let's ask the people around here, 'Did
        > anyone call my mother
        > Claudia?' "
        >
        > The others in line answered with a loud chorus of
        > "Nooo."
        >
        > "Did anybody call my mother, 'Bird?' " Luci Johnson

        === message truncated ===
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2007
          Local news said that in addition to all the White House connections in
          the article, the Eisenhowers also sent someone to Austin yesterday. I
          wonder who in the Eisenhower family was there yesterday.

          It was such a touching and beautiful memorial service. Bill Moyers'
          speech was typically Bill Moyers with his personal memories going back
          to LBJ's Senate years. I couldn't help but shed a few tears when her
          granddaughters and daughters delivered their final tribute.

          Thanks god for Lady Bird Johnson.

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15, 2007
            Amen!

            --- Ram Lau <ramlau@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > route of Sunday
            > > > morning's ceremonial cortege, making sure
            > Congress
            > > > Avenue and Cesar
            > > > Chavez Street and the sidewalks are free of
            > debris
            > > > and other hazards.
            > > > Barricades are ready to be put up as needed, and
            > > > extra employees are
            > > > ready to help with street sweeping.
            > > >
            > > > That final public event in the three days of
            > > > memorials and services
            > > > will begin at 9 a.m. at the Capitol at 11th
            > Street
            > > > and Congress
            > > > Avenue. The cortege will end in Johnson City
            > about
            > > > an hour and a half
            > > > later. Then Mrs. Johnson's casket will be taken
            > > > the LBJ Ranch for a
            > > > private burial.
            > > >
            > > > At the opening of the LBJ Library vigil Friday,

            === message truncated ===