Ron Paul warns of staged terror attack

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2007
      http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0707/Ron_Paul_warns_of_staged_terror_attack.html

      July 13, 2007

      Ron Paul warns of staged terror attack

      Republican presidential candidate, Rep. Ron Paul, said
      the country is in "great danger" of the U.S.
      government staging a terrorist attack or a Gulf of
      Tonkin style provocation, as the war in Iraq continues
      to deteriorate.

      The Texas congressman offered no specifics nor
      mentioned President Bush by name, but he clearly
      insinuated that the administration would not be above
      staging an incident to revive flagging support.

      "We're in danger in many ways," Paul said on the Alex
      Jones radio show. "The attack on our civil liberties
      here at home, the foreign policy that's in shambles
      and our obligations overseas and commitment which
      endangers our troops and our national defense."

      Paul was asked to respond to comments by anti-war
      activist Cindy Sheehan that the U.S. is in danger of a
      staged terror attack or a provocation of an enemy
      similar to the Gulf of Tonkin incident in 1964 before
      the Vietnam War.

      During the radio interview, Paul said the government
      was conducting "an orchestrated effort to blame the
      Iranians for everything that has gone wrong in Iraq."

      The comments come as several prominent terrorism
      experts have warned the U.S. is facing an increased
      risk of attack this summer. Earlier this week, in an
      interview with the Chicago Tribune, Homeland Security
      Secretary Michael Chertoff said he had a "gut feeling"
      the U.S. would be attacked again.

      The remark angered some Democrats, who criticized
      Chertoff for being too vague. And some pundits seized
      on his remarks, saying the vague warnings were meant
      only to revive flagging support for the war in Iraq
      and BushÂ’s larger war against terrorism.