Re: [prezveepsenator] NYT: Lady Bird Johnson, 94, Dies; Eased a Path to Power

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2007
      I often think of her when I see Texas wildflowers, in
      fact she set up a widlflower center here in Austin.
      She has lived in the Austin area for pretty much her
      whole life, except for her Washington days, and I
      don't think I ever heard anyone say anything negative
      about her. She was good for Texas and good for the
      country.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/washington/12johnson.html
      > July 12, 2007
      > Lady Bird Johnson, 94, Dies; Eased a Path to Power
      > By ENID NEMY
      >
      > Lady Bird Johnson, the widow of President Lyndon B.
      > Johnson, who was
      > once described by her husband as "the brains and
      > money of this family"
      > and whose business skills cushioned his road to the
      > White House, died
      > yesterday afternoon at her home in Austin, Tex. She
      > was 94.
      >
      > Mrs. Johnson was hospitalized for a week last month
      > with a low-grade
      > fever. She died of natural causes, surrounded by
      > family, including her
      > two daughters, and friends, said a family
      > spokeswoman, Elizabeth
      > Christian.
      >
      > Mrs. Johnson was a calm and steadying influence on
      > her often moody and
      > volatile husband as she quietly attended to the
      > demands imposed by his
      > career. Liz Carpenter, her press secretary during
      > her years in the
      > White House, once wrote that "if President Johnson
      > was the long arm,
      > Lady Bird Johnson was the gentle hand."
      >
      > She softened hurts, mediated quarrels and won over
      > many political
      > opponents. Johnson often said his political ascent
      > would have been
      > inconceivable without his wife's devotion and
      > forbearance. Others
      > shared that belief.
      >
      > After Johnson became the Democratic nominee for vice
      > president in
      > 1960, James Reston, the Washington columnist of The
      > New York Times,
      > said, "Lyndon could never have made it this far
      > without the help of
      > that woman."
      >
      > Mrs. Johnson was often compared to Eleanor
      > Roosevelt, a first lady she
      > greatly admired but did not emulate.
      >
      > "Mrs. Roosevelt was an instigator, an innovator,
      > willing to air a
      > cause without her husband's endorsement," Ms.
      > Carpenter said. "Mrs.
      > Johnson was an implementer and translator of her
      > husband and his
      > purpose — a wife in capital letters."
      >
      > Mrs. Johnson had one major cause during the Johnson
      > presidency,
      > highway beautification, and her husband pushed
      > Congress into passing
      > legislation to further the program.
      >
      > Mrs. Johnson made many trips to explain her
      > husband's programs like
      > Head Start, the Job Corps and the War on Poverty.
      > But, Ms. Carpenter
      > said, she "never hesitated to admit that during the
      > early years of
      > their marriage, her husband expected coffee and
      > newspapers in bed and
      > his shoes shined and that she was happy to comply."
      >
      > Bonnie Angelo, a reporter who covered Mrs. Johnson
      > for Time magazine,
      > said, "She took a lot from him, but she always said,
      > `Lyndon is larger
> [...]
      === message truncated ===