Sheehan considers challenge to Pelosi

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8 2:22 PM
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070708/ap_on_el_ho/cindy_sheehan_pelosi;_ylt=Atu7ecGsBkGu8yYkl_1YXS.s0NUE

      Sheehan considers challenge to Pelosi

      By ANGELA K. BROWN, Associated Press Writer 24 minutes
      ago

      CRAWFORD, Texas - Six weeks after announcing her
      departure from the peace movement, Cindy Sheehan said
      Sunday that she plans to run against House Speaker
      Nancy Pelosi unless she introduces articles of
      impeachment against President Bush in the next two
      weeks.

      Sheehan said she will run against the San Francisco
      Democrat in 2008 as an independent if Pelosi does not
      seek by July 23 to impeach Bush. That's when Sheehan
      and her supporters are to arrive in Washington, D.C.,
      after a 13-day caravan and walking tour starting next
      week from the group's war protest site near Bush's
      Crawford ranch.

      "Democrats and Americans feel betrayed by the
      Democratic leadership," Sheehan told The Associated
      Press. "We hired them to bring an end to the war. I'm
      not too far from San Francisco, so it wouldn't be too
      big of a move for me. I would give her a run for her
      money."

      Messages left with Pelosi's staff were not immediately
      returned.

      Sheehan announced in May that she was leaving the
      anti-war movement and selling her 5-acre Crawford lot.
      She said that she felt her efforts had been in vain
      and that she had endured smear tactics and hatred from
      the left, as well as the right.

      She plans to make her official announcement Tuesday
      after what is expected to be her final weekend at the
      Crawford lot, which she sold to California radio talk
      show host Bree Walker.

      Sheehan first came to Crawford in August 2005 during a
      Bush vacation, demanding to talk to him about the war
      that killed her son Casey in 2004.

      She became the face of the anti-war movement during
      her 26-day roadside vigil, which was joined by
      thousands. But it also drew counterprotests of Bush
      supporters, many who said she was hurting troop
      morale.

      Sheehan, who has never held political office, recently
      said that she was leaving the Democratic Party because
      it "caved" in to the president. Last week, she
      announced her caravan to Washington, D.C., which she
      calls the "people's accountability movement."

      "I didn't expect to be back so soon, but the focus is
      different than it was before," Sheehan said Sunday.
      "Instead of talking and making accusations, we're
      going into communities and talking to the people
      who've been hurt by the Bush regime. We're finding out
      how we can help people."

      Sheehan said she lives in a suburb of Sacramento but
      declined to disclose the city, citing safety reasons.