Party head lambastes Lieberman on Iran

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16 6:24 AM
      http://www.connpost.com/localnews/ci_6126214
      Party head lambastes Lieberman on Iran
      PETER URBAN purban@...
      Connecticut Post Online
      Article Last Updated:06/12/2007 11:32:39 PM EDT
      WASHINGTON â€" Connecticut for Lieberman Party Chairman John Orman
      called Tuesday for Sen. Joe Lieberman to resign, saying his advocacy
      of a military strike against Iran could explode into a global conflict.

      "He has crossed the line," said Orman, a professor of politics at
      Fairfield University. "His unilateral warmongering could lead to a new
      World War III."

      During an appearance on "Face the Nation" on CBS Sunday, Lieberman
      said the United States should consider a military strike against Iran
      because of Tehran's involvement in Iraq.

      "I think we've got to be prepared to take aggressive military action
      against the Iranians to stop them from killing Americans in Iraq,"
      Lieberman said. "And to me, that would include a strike over the
      border into Iran, where we have good evidence that they have a base at
      which they are training these people coming back into Iraq to kill our
      soldiers."

      Lieberman reiterated his call for a military strike on Monday during
      an appearance on Fox News in which he claimed that Tehran is training
      and arming Iraqi insurgents to kill American and Iraqi soldiers. He
      also suggested that failing to launch a military strike now would
      embolden Tehran's efforts to develop nuclear weapons.

      "If we let them get away with this they will continue to move
      throughout the region and if we think we are going to have a prayer of
      a chance to stop them from developing nuclear weapons, it's not going
      to happen unless they take us seriously," Lieberman said.

      Orman, a former Democrat, switched party affiliation and took over the
      Connecticut for Lieberman Party earlier this year. Lieberman created
      the party last August to run for re-election as an independent after
      losing the state's Democratic primary to Ned Lamont of Greenwich.
      However, Lieberman never joined the new party and remains a registered
      Democrat.

      Orman issued a news release Tuesday asking Lieberman to immediately
      resign and urging Connecticut Gov. M. Jodi Rell to appoint Susan
      Henshaw, secretary of the Connecticut for Lieberman Party, as his
      replacement.

      Lieberman did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

      The senator's saber rattling has also drawn sharp criticism from other
      Democrats who oppose the Iraq war.

      Lamont said Monday on Air America Radio that Lieberman was "to the
      right of the mainstream of the Republican Party" when it comes to Iran.

      "If anything has come out that's slightly positive of this Bush
      administration in the last few months it's that they have now had some
      beginnings of conversations with the Iranians. And this is just what
      Joe Lieberman is trying to squash. It's really unfortunate," Lamont said.

      Retired Gen. Wesley Clark urged Lieberman Monday to stop advocating a
      military strike against Iran, saying it is "highly irresponsible and
      counterproductive."

      "Sen. Lieberman's saber rattling does nothing to help dissuade Iran
      from aiding Shia militias in Iraq, or trying to obtain nuclear
      capabilities," said Clark, who in 2004 was one of Lieberman's rivals
      for the Democratic presidential nomination. "This kind of rhetoric is
      irresponsible and only plays into the hands of President Ahmadinejad,
      and those who seek an excuse for military action."

      During an appearance Sunday on CNN's "Late Edition," Democratic
      presidential hopeful Bill Richardson said tough negotiations are
      needed to deal with Iran's nuclear ambitions.

      "Sanctions would work on Iran," he said. "They are susceptible to
      disinvestment policy. They are susceptible to cuts, economic sanctions
      in commodities."

      Lieberman responded Monday on Fox News to Richardson and Clark. "I
      believe in talk too, but the Europeans talked to the Iranians for more
      than two years to stop [their] nuclear weapons development program and
      it had zero effect," Lieberman said.

      Lieberman said Clark's view "doesn't relate to the realities on the
      ground in the Middle East" where Arab leaders worry "about the
      belligerence of Iran."

      "They sent me a very clear message that unless the Iranians know that
      America means business, they are just going to keep moving," Lieberman
      said.