Wyoming Sen. Craig Thomas Dies at 74

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2007
      http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070605/D8PICSB01.html

      Wyoming Sen. Craig Thomas Dies at 74

      Jun 4, 10:43 PM (ET)

      By MARY CLARE JALONICK

      WASHINGTON (AP) - Wyoming Sen. Craig Thomas, a
      three-term conservative Republican who stayed clear of
      the Washington limelight and political catfights, died
      Monday. He was 74.

      The senator's family issued a statement saying he died
      Monday evening at National Naval Medical Center in
      Bethesda, Md. He had been receiving chemotherapy for
      acute myeloid leukemia.

      Just before the 2006 election, Thomas was hospitalized
      with pneumonia and had to cancel his last campaign
      stops. He nonetheless won with 70 percent of the vote,
      monitoring the election from his hospital bed.

      Two days after the election, Thomas announced that he
      had just been diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia.

      Gov. Dave Freudenthal, a Democrat, will appoint a
      successor from one of three finalists chosen by the
      state Republican party.

      Thomas was a low-key lawmaker who reliably represented
      the interests of his conservative state, often
      becoming involved in public lands issues. He worked in
      behind-the-scenes posts to oversee national parks,
      including Yellowstone in Wyoming.

      He was also an advocate for domestic energy and
      minerals production. He worked to protect Wyoming's
      mining industry from foreign competition and backed
      efforts to get a federally funded coal gasification
      plant built in the state.

      After his first round of chemotherapy, Thomas returned
      to the Senate in December, a month earlier than
      expected. A few months later, he said he felt better
      than he had in a long time. But he returned to the
      hospital for a second round of chemotherapy in May.

      "I'm resolved to do all I can to keep the leukemia in
      check," he said then. "I've been feeling very good
      over the last several months - even returning to my
      regular morning run. But I've always known that
      further treatments are common and could periodically
      be part of this thing."
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2007
        Speaking of Wyoming, you can get the least number of popular vote
        (about ninety thousand in a non-presidential cycle) to become a U.S.
        Senator in that state. That's less than what you need to be a State
        Senator in some states! I wonder what the Founding Fathers have to say
        about such absurdity.

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...>