Candidate Paul assigns reading to Giuliani

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2007

      Candidate Paul assigns reading to Giuliani

      By Andy Sullivan Thu May 24, 2:24 PM ET

      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Longshot Republican
      presidential candidate Ron Paul (news, bio, voting
      record) on Thursday gave front-runner Rudy Giuliani a
      list of foreign-policy books to back up his contention
      that attacks by Islamic militants are fueled by the
      U.S. presence in the Middle East.

      "I'm giving Mr. Giuliani a reading assignment," the
      nine-term Texas congressman said as he stood behind a
      stack of books that included the report by the
      commission that examined the attacks on the United
      States on September 11, 2001.

      Giuliani was mayor of New York when Islamic militants
      slammed two commercial airliners into the World Trade
      Center, a role that has vaulted him to the front of
      the Republican presidential pack despite his liberal
      social positions.

      "I don't think he's qualified to be president," Paul
      said of Giuliani. "If he was to read the book and
      report back to me and say, 'I've changed my mind,' I
      would reconsider."

      Paul advocates a limited U.S. foreign policy,
      including an end to the war in Iraq and a reduction in
      troop levels abroad.

      Paul said he was unfairly attacked during last week's
      debate by 10 Republican presidential hopefuls, when
      Giuliani dismissed his contention that U.S. policies
      in the Middle East had contributed to the attacks in
      New York and Washington.

      "I don't think I've ever heard that before, and I've
      heard some pretty absurd explanations for September
      11th," Giuliani said to wild applause.

      A spokeswoman for Giuliani derided Paul's latest

      "It is extraordinary and reckless to claim that the
      United States invited the attacks on September 11th,"
      Maria Comella said in an e-mail.

      "And to further declare Rudy Giuliani needs to be
      educated on September 11th when millions of people
      around the world saw him dealing with these terrorist
      attacks firsthand is just as absurd."

      Paul barely registers in opinion polls of Republicans
      hoping to win their party's nomination to contest the
      November 2008 presidential election.

      An obstetrician-gynecologist from the Houston area,
      Paul frequently strays far outside the Republican

      He voted against the Iraq war resolution in 2002 and
      has proposed abolishing the Homeland Security
      Department and diminishing the Federal Reserve. His
      1988 bid for president as the Libertarian candidate
      drew just slightly more than 400,000 votes nationwide.

      Paul said it was irresponsible of Giuliani and other
      leaders to not examine the motivations of al Qaeda and
      other radical Islamic groups.

      Among the books on Paul's reading list were: "Dying to
      Win," which argues that suicide bombers only mobilize
      against an occupying force; "Blowback," which examines
      the unintended consequences of U.S. foreign policy;
      and the 9/11 Commission Report, which says that al
      Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was angered by the
      presence of U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia.

      Another book on the list was "Imperial Hubris," whose
      author appeared at the press conference to offer
      support for Paul.

      "Foreign policy is about protecting America," said
      author Michael Scheuer, who used to head the CIA's bin
      Laden unit. "Our foreign policy is doing the

      A Giuliani campaign official could not confirm whether
      he had read any of the books on Paul's list.