Re: He's The Worst Ever

    Message 1 of 9 , May 21, 2007
      > I'd forgotten that those 3 showed the courage to do
      > that. If Jeffords was an independant at that point,
      > then that means that the Dems controlled the Senate
      > and were enablers, which may be why they don't raise
      > the issue much. I doubt that history will be kind to
      > any of the recent Congresses.

      The compromised version of the 2001 tax cut:
      http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=107&session=1&vote=00170

      A good number of Democrats voted for it at the end, but for the 2003
      tax cut only Zell Miller (D-GA) and Ben Nelson (D-NE) sided with the
      Republicans while Jim Jeffords (I-VT), Lincoln Chafee (R-RI), John
      McCain (R-AZ) and Olympia Snowe (R-ME) voted Nay with the Democrats:
      http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=1&vote=00196

      Chafee just slipped my mind. The 2003 tax cut was passed 50-50 with
      Dick Cheney casting the tie-vote.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 21, 2007
        Thanks, Ram.. I guess I need to amend my statement of
        the Dems being enablers.. I counted around 30 Dem
        votes against the tax cuts and it lists Jeffords as
        still a Republican, so the Republicans were the
        majority party.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 22, 2007
          > Thanks, Ram.. I guess I need to amend my statement of
          > the Dems being enablers.. I counted around 30 Dem
          > votes against the tax cuts and it lists Jeffords as
          > still a Republican, so the Republicans were the
          > majority party.

          You can blame Ben Nelson (D-NE) for enabling the 2003 tax cut. Without
          his vote, the bill would have been defeated 51-49 and Cheney wouldn't
          have been able to decide its passage.