Re: He's The Worst Ever

    Message 1 of 9 , May 21, 2007
      > the US. The amazing financial irresponsibility of the
      > past 6 years has been obscured, and those chickens
      > will be roosting with a vengeance.

      You had an accompanying Congress that went along with it as far as
      financial irresponsibility goes. History will remember that Olympia
      Snowe (R-ME) and John McCain (R-AZ) and Jim Jeffords (I-VT) stood tall
      as the reckless tax cuts were passed.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 21, 2007
        I'd forgotten that those 3 showed the courage to do
        that. If Jeffords was an independant at that point,
        then that means that the Dems controlled the Senate
        and were enablers, which may be why they don't raise
        the issue much. I doubt that history will be kind to
        any of the recent Congresses.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 21, 2007
          > I'd forgotten that those 3 showed the courage to do
          > that. If Jeffords was an independant at that point,
          > then that means that the Dems controlled the Senate
          > and were enablers, which may be why they don't raise
          > the issue much. I doubt that history will be kind to
          > any of the recent Congresses.

          The compromised version of the 2001 tax cut:
          http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=107&session=1&vote=00170

          A good number of Democrats voted for it at the end, but for the 2003
          tax cut only Zell Miller (D-GA) and Ben Nelson (D-NE) sided with the
          Republicans while Jim Jeffords (I-VT), Lincoln Chafee (R-RI), John
          McCain (R-AZ) and Olympia Snowe (R-ME) voted Nay with the Democrats:
          http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=1&vote=00196

          Chafee just slipped my mind. The 2003 tax cut was passed 50-50 with
          Dick Cheney casting the tie-vote.
          Message 4 of 9 , May 21, 2007
            Thanks, Ram.. I guess I need to amend my statement of
            the Dems being enablers.. I counted around 30 Dem
            votes against the tax cuts and it lists Jeffords as
            still a Republican, so the Republicans were the
            majority party.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 22, 2007
              > Thanks, Ram.. I guess I need to amend my statement of
              > the Dems being enablers.. I counted around 30 Dem
              > votes against the tax cuts and it lists Jeffords as
              > still a Republican, so the Republicans were the
              > majority party.

              You can blame Ben Nelson (D-NE) for enabling the 2003 tax cut. Without
              his vote, the bill would have been defeated 51-49 and Cheney wouldn't
              have been able to decide its passage.