NYP: RAISING MCCAIN CUSSES GOP COMRADE IN SENATE TIRADE

    Message 1 of 3 , May 19 9:04 AM
      http://www.nypost.com/seven/05192007/news/nationalnews/raising_mccain_nationalnews_charles_hurt.htm
      RAISING MCCAIN

      By CHARLES HURT

      May 19, 2007 -- WASHINGTON - Presidential hopeful John McCain - who
      has been dogged for years by questions about his volcanic temper -
      erupted in an angry, profanity-laced tirade at a fellow Republican
      senator, sources told The Post yesterday.

      In a heated dispute over immigration-law overhaul, McCain screamed,
      "F- - - you!" at Texas Sen. John Cornyn, who had been raising concerns
      about the legislation.

      "This is chickens- - - stuff," McCain snapped at Cornyn, according to
      several people in the room off the Senate floor Thursday. "You've
      always been against this bill, and you're just trying to derail it."

      Surprised by McCain's foul-mouthed broadside, Cornyn told him he was
      "out of line."

      Cornyn said McCain couldn't "just parachute in at the last minute and
      begin making all these demands" - a not-so-subtle shot at the Arizona
      Republican's recent AWOL status in the Senate while campaigning around
      the country for the White House.

      That's a sore point with McCain, who has skipped 42 votes this year
      and hasn't been closely involved in the "comprehensive immigration
      reform" deal for months, even though he is a sponsor of the plan.

      McCain blew his top after Cornyn brought up his worsening Senate
      attendance record.

      He shouted at Cornyn in front of a bipartisan group of senators and
      aides who had gathered in ornate meeting room, according to several
      people who were present.

      "I know more about this stuff than anybody in this room," McCain added.

      The blowup is likely to further revive questions about McCain's
      "anger-management problem."

      Brian Jones, a spokesman for the McCain campaign, acknowledged that a
      "spirited exchange" did occur, though he took exception to a few details.

      Jones said that the "chickens- - -" phrase was offered by a McCain
      ally in the room and that McCain never told Cornyn he knew more about
      the legislation than anyone else in the room.

      "Negotiating such a large and important piece of legislation can be
      intense, and a spirited exchange did occur," Jones said. "[McCain] is
      somebody who feels very passionate about his work and about solving
      the problems facing the country."

      churt@...
      Message 2 of 3 , May 19 9:18 AM
        I just laughed out loud on this one. But on a more serious note, I
        hope they can get the bill over with this year.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2007
          Well, the Republican terrorists derailed the immigration bill again.
          It's just so sad that we allow millions of people to live in this
          country as half-slaves in this 21st century.