Murtha says Dems could consider impeachment

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2007
      I wish they'd asked Murtha what are the other three
      ways to influence a president. Any ideas what he
      meant?

      http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0407/3742.html

      Murtha says Dems could consider impeachment

      By: Josh Kraushaar
      April 29, 2007 12:17 PM EST

      Rep. John P. Murtha (D-Pa.) said Sunday that Democrats
      in Congress could consider impeachment as a way to
      pressure President Bush on his handling of the war in
      Iraq.

      “What I’m saying, there’s four ways to influence a
      president. And one of them’s impeachment,” Murtha,
      chairman of the House Appropriations defense
      subcommittee, said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

      Murtha has been one of the most outspoken members of
      Congress on the administration's handling of the war
      in Iraq; others who have strongly criticized Bush have
      stopped short of calling for impeachment.

      Murtha also expressed doubt that Congress and the Bush
      administration would be able to work out a compromise
      soon in negotiations on the $124 billion war spending
      bill. Congress' emergency funding measure contains a
      timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. combat troops
      from Iraq.

      “They say we’re willing to compromise, and then we
      don’t get any compromise,” said Murtha. “We’ve already
      compromised. And we need to make this president
      understand, Mr. President, the public has spoken.”

      Murtha said the Democratic-controlled Congress will
      pass another war funding bill with similar benchmarks
      for progress in Iraq after President Bush vetoes the
      legislation, as he has vowed to do.

      “If he vetoes this bill, he’s cut off the money. But
      obviously, we’re going to pass another bill,” Murtha
      said. “It’s going to have some stringent requirements.
      ... I'd like to look at this again in two months.”

      Rice on the Defensive

      Meanwhile, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
      appeared on several Sunday shows to defend the
      administration’s opposition to the emergency wartime
      funding bill with the troop withdrawal timetable.

      “The president has said he will not accept anything
      that constitutes a timetable for American withdrawal,”
      Rice said on ABC’s “This Week.”

      On “Face the Nation,” she also said: “To begin now to
      tie our own hands and to say we must do this if they
      don’t do that doesn’t allow us the flexibility and
      creativity that we need to move this forward.”

      Rice also said she would resist a subpoena from Rep.
      Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.) to testify about the
      administration’s prewar claims that Iraq had weapons
      of mass destruction. Waxman is chairman of the House
      Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

      “I’m perfectly willing to answer whatever questions
      Chairman Waxman has,” Rice said. “But … there’s a
      constitutional issue here that the White House will
      have to handle.”

      Meanwhile, on ABC, Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) sharply
      attacked Rice and the administration’s position on
      Iraq.

      “When I listen to the secretary of state right now,
      it’s the same thing again — the same distortions, the
      same myth of supporting something that isn’t working
      and is weakening our country against our enemies,”
      Feingold said. “It has to stop, and I will fight to
      stop it.”

      Sen. Sam Brownback (Kan.), a Republican presidential
      candidate, responded: “This is assured defeat. Defeat
      will happen in America, not in Iraq. That’s not what
      the American people want.”