Reid warns against rush on gun control

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17 3:52 PM
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_on_go_co/virginia_tech_gun_control_14;_ylt=AusPXEVyvKdIvwHSBgfNxy1bbBAF

      Reid warns against rush on gun control

      By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent 23 minutes ago

      WASHINGTON - After the worst mass shooting in U.S.
      history, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (news, bio,
      voting record) cautioned Tuesday against a "rush to
      judgment" on stricter gun control. A leading House
      supporter of restrictions on firearms conceded passage
      of legislation would be difficult.

      "I think we ought to be thinking about the families
      and the victims and not speculate about future
      legislative battles that might lie ahead," said Reid,
      a view expressed by other Democratic leaders the day
      after the shootings that left 33 dead on the campus of
      Virginia Tech.

      Democrats traditionally have been in the forefront of
      efforts to pass gun control legislation, but there is
      a widespread perception among political strategists
      that the issue has been a loser in recent campaigns.
      It was notably absent from the agenda Reid and House
      Speaker Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record)
      unveiled earlier this year when the party took control
      of the House and Senate for the first time in more
      than a decade.

      In the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings, a few
      Democrats renewed the call for gun control
      legislation, and more are expected to join them.

      "I believe this will reignite the dormant effort to
      pass commonsense gun regulations in this nation," said
      Sen. Dianne Feinstein (news, bio, voting record), a
      California Democrat who was a leader in the failed
      drive to renew a ban on certain types of assault
      weapons that expired in 2004.

      Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., was one of very few
      lawmakers to refer on gun control in the early hours
      after the shootings. "There will be time to debate the
      steps needed to avert such tragedies," he said on
      Monday, "but today, our thoughts and prayers go to
      their families."

      By coincidence, Kennedy and Rep. Xavier Becerra (news,
      bio, voting record), D-Calif., are scheduled to attend
      a demonstration Friday at a firing range used by U.S.
      Capitol Police to draw attention to microstamping, a
      procedure by which serial numbers are placed on
      ammunition casings. The goal is to allow police and
      other investigators to quickly track ammunition to the
      gun that fired it.

      The two lawmakers support legislation to require
      microstamping for all guns manufactured after 2009,
      and aides to both said they planned to go ahead with
      the demonstration.

      Overall, though, said Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (news,
      bio, voting record), D-N.Y., "It is a tough sell" to
      pass gun control legislation. Speaker Nancy Pelosi,
      D-Calif., held a brief meeting on the subject to
      discuss possible legislation, but there was no
      apparent eagerness by Reid, House Majority Leader
      Steny Hoyer (news, bio, voting record), D-Md., or her
      to predict Democrats would lead a drive to toughen
      existing laws.

      One senior Democrat, Rep. Charles Rangel (news, bio,
      voting record) of New York, said gun rights advocates
      are simply too influential to allow a tightening of
      gun control laws. "It's a regional thing, it's a
      cultural thing," Rangel said, arguing that even in
      areas where 85 percent of the people support more
      restrictions, the 15 percent minority is far more
      active and outspoken.

      Less than a month ago, Pelosi and other Democratic
      leaders abruptly pulled legislation to give the
      District of Columbia voting representation in the
      House. Republicans were using the issue to try to
      force a vote on repeal of the capital's handgun ban,
      and Democrats feared it would pass.

      Hoyer told reporters he thought and hoped the
      shootings at Virginia Tech would make it harder for
      Republicans to prevail when the voting rights bill
      returns to the House floor later this week.

      He refused to be drawn into a discussion of the
      longer-term political consequences of the shooting,
      saying, "All I am saying is there will be a debate. I
      am not going to enter into the debate today."

      Not all lawmakers were as reticent.

      Sen. Larry Craig (news, bio, voting record), R-Idaho,
      one of Congress' most persistent advocates of gun
      rights, noted that the student who police say was the
      shooter at Virginia Tech had brought a weapon onto
      campus in violation of restrictions. He said he
      doubted a law could be passed that would protect "any
      of us when somebody who is mentally deranged decides
      to do this."

      One law enforcement official has said that the
      gunman's backpack contained a receipt for a March
      purchase of a Glock 9 mm pistol. The gunman held a
      green card, meaning he was a legal, permanent
      resident, federal officials said. That meant he was
      eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted
      of a felony.

      Democrats have grown less supportive of gun control
      legislation as a party in the past decade.

      After the shootings at Columbine High School in
      Colorado, then-Vice President Al Gore cast a
      tie-breaking vote in the Senate on legislation to
      reduce the availability of certain firearms. He and
      other gun control advocates claimed victory, but many
      strategists believe the vote hurt him in the 2000
      presidential election.

      Gun control tends to win favor among suburban voters,
      but it often stirs opposition in less heavily
      populated areas

      So far this year, there has been little evidence that
      Democrats feel otherwise after winning control of the
      House by picking up seats last fall in parts of
      Indiana, Ohio, Texas, Arizona and elsewhere where
      hunting is popular.

      ____

      Associated Press Writers Jim Abrams and Devlin Barrett
      contributed to this report.
    • Gregory
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 17 5:54 PM
        Yesterday when Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi spoke from the floor
        she did not face the issue that needs attention. While she spoke
        from the heart about the loss of life there was no mention of the
        NRA, and no mention of gun control. While I can give all the
        reasons why the issue was not `politically correct' for Pelosi to
        address, I can also add 33 more reasons (at the time of this writing)
        that common sense should start to rise above the self-interests of
        the gun lobby. And the self-interest of politicians! I am tired of
        the reasons why real gun control can't take place and am looking for
        leaders who know that it must. And I strongly suspect that with a
        truthful debate on the merits of gun control enlightened thinking
        would prevail.

        When President Bush spoke about his sadness, and that of the nation,
        he too forgot that the forces which perpetuate the violence continues
        because of gutless politicians that will not speak the truth about
        the NRA.

        Far too many folks are becoming immune to the effects, images, and
        shock of gun violence and will watch the news tonight and lament that
        it took place………and that will be all. Until the next time…and the
        next.

        Gregory

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 17 9:00 PM
          If history has taught us anything, it is that all
          great nations and empires decline eventually. Is there
          any practical use for a 9 milimeter hand gun that
          holds over 20 rounds, which was previously illegal
          till 2004, such as the one used yesterday?

          Tom

          === message truncated ===
        • Gregory
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 17 9:19 PM
            Thanks for a direct and pointed comment. I used it (without your
            name) for my blog as a stand alone post. It says much in a few words.

            Gregory

            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > for
            > > > Republicans to prevail when the voting rights bill
            > > > returns to the House floor later this week.
            > > >
            > > > He refused to be drawn into a discussion of the
            > > > longer-term political consequences of the
            > > shooting,
            > > > saying, "All I am saying is there will be a
            > > debate. I
            > > > am not going to enter into the debate today."
            > > >
            > > > Not all lawmakers were as reticent.
            > > >
            > > > Sen. Larry Craig (news, bio, voting record),
            > > R-Idaho,
            > > > one of Congress' most persistent advocates of gun
            > > > rights, noted that the student who police say was
            > > the
            > > > shooter at Virginia Tech had brought a weapon onto
            > > > campus in violation of restrictions. He said he
            > > > doubted a law could be passed that would protect
            > > "any
            > > > of us when somebody who is mentally deranged

          • Gregory
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 17 9:27 PM
              Could someone (Tom or anyone) supply me with info on the gun and
              rationale for why it was not legal before 2004 and how it became
              legal after that time. I know I am going to be asked. I just do not
              know.

              Thanks in advance.

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > for
              > > > Republicans to prevail when the voting rights bill
              > > > returns to the House floor later this week.
              > > >
              > > > He refused to be drawn into a discussion of the
              > > > longer-term political consequences of the
              > > shooting,
              > > > saying, "All I am saying is there will be a
              > > debate. I
              > > > am not going to enter into the debate today."
              > > >
              > > > Not all lawmakers were as reticent.
              > > >
              > > > Sen. Larry Craig (news, bio, voting record),
              > > R-Idaho,
              > > > one of Congress' most persistent advocates of gun
              > > > rights, noted that the student who police say was
              > > the
              > > > shooter at Virginia Tech had brought a weapon onto
              > > > campus in violation of restrictions. He said he
              > > > doubted a law could be passed that would protect
              > > "any
              > > > of us when somebody who is mentally deranged

            • Gregory
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 17 9:50 PM
                Was this due to the assault weapons ban expiring? Sorry for the mnay
                posts here....I am just so angry over this loss of life.

                Gregory

                --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <greggolopry@...>

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 17 10:27 PM
                  Yes, Gregory, it was reported on one of the cable news
                  shows that that weapon was illegal under the assault
                  weapons ban.. I'm angry too and find it paradoxical
                  that we have lost 100 times as many of our finest
                  young citizens in Iraq and it does not seem to have a
                  proportionate impact.

                  Sadly,
                  Tom

                  === message truncated ===
                • Gregory
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 17 10:44 PM
                    Thanks Tom for the speedy reply. After thinking about it that ban
                    came to me as the only thing possible. And I agree about the war
                    dead...it is a number that should drive mobs to the streets.....I
                    really wonder what it would take for the masses to rise
                    up....probally if the phonelines to vote for American Idol were
                    cut....I am very angry and not very eager to give the public much
                    slack lately...it is not that I, we, any of us are so much smarter
                    but the problems just seem so clear to me, you, others here, and yet
                    there seems so few who care in the nation...I have been just so sad
                    and upset to see and hear the pain of the young folks in VA and know
                    full well it never had to happen...and then I hear the NRA crap and I
                    want to yell...I may need a day away from the news.

                    But again thanks my friend for the update.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 17 11:40 PM
                      Gregory, I agree that outrage is not a comfortable
                      feeling but it could be the healthiest response, under
                      the circumstances. Taking a step back from current
                      events, I see a lot to be thankful for: democracy in
                      the US and across the world seems to be functioning
                      pretty well.. I had been worried that big money had
                      trumped it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I
                      can look at how similar the political dynamics of the
                      1920s seem to the current situation, and how the
                      primary figures of that decade were treated by
                      history, and how the voters didn't let it happen again
                      for another 6 or 7 decades. More importantly, more
                      people live under decent human rights now than in any
                      time in history.
                      I'm still really mad but I hope my previous comment
                      about great nations declining was wrong.

                      Tom

                      === message truncated ===