Sen. Hagel’s brother: "It's just a matter of time"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2007
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17584840/
      Sen. Hagel's brother: "It's just a matter of time"
      Tom Hagel served with his brother in Vietnam; says Chuck will likely run
      MSNBC
      Updated: 8:40 p.m. ET March 12, 2007

      Earlier Monday, Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel (R) announced that he would
      make a decision about his political future later in the year. Later,
      Tom Hagel, who served in Vietnam with his brother, told Hardball
      whether he thinks his brother will end up running for president.

      Chuck and Tom Hagel took different political paths after their serving
      together in Vietnam. Tom, a Democrat, helped the Kerry-Edwards 2004
      campaign organize veteran support in Ohio. He is also a law professor
      at the University of Dayton.

      NBC's David Gregory talked to Tom Hagel, brother of Sen. Chuck Hagel
      on "Hardball," which aired tonight at 5 and 7 p.m. (ET).

      The following is a transcript of the interview:

      DAVID GREGORY, GUEST HOST, "HARDBALL": Tom, thanks for being with us.
      So, what was this about today? Is your brother in or out?

      TOM HAGEL, BROTHER OF SEN. CHUCK HAGEL: You know as much about it as I
      do. I talked to him last week, and he told me what he was going to
      say. And I think that his inclination is to be in. And to be quite
      frank with you, I would expect him ultimately to throw his hat in the
      ring.

      GREGORY: So, why not do it today? What else is he waiting for?

      T. HAGEL: That I don't know. I don't know the specifics. But if I
      had to guess, I would say that he ultimately will do it.

      GREGORY: So, why does he want in? As he looks at this landscape on
      the Republican side, what opening does he see for himself?

      T. HAGEL: That's the question I have. You look at the reality of the
      situation, and I think that you have a number of people that are
      already out there, that seem to represent representation for, you
      know, certain segments of the Republican Party, and maybe for the
      electorate in general.

      But I think that he sees himself as a candidate who can rise above the
      run-of-the-mill political babble that goes on.

      GREGORY: All right. But what does that mean exactly? Because one of
      the things that does set him apart right now, he is conservative.
      There's a lot of talk about who's the true conservative in this race.
      But he is running away from this president, and fast, on the war.

      Is that really what is going to define a Chuck Hagel campaign, is that
      he was the Republican who stood up to Bush on the war and said, this
      is wrong, this isn't working, you botched this?

      T. HAGEL: I don't think it could be any other way, because of the
      place that the war is in the public mind today, that is the key
      concern, apparently, with society. That if he enters into this race,
      based on the positions he's already stated, I don't see how it could
      not set the context for his entire campaign.

      GREGORY: What does he think about not only the war, but about the
      political standing for Republicans? Does he think that Republicans
      will pay a price for having stood by Bush on the war?

      T. HAGEL: I think he does. But I don't think that that has anything
      to do with his position.

      If you look at historically, you can go all the way back, and he has
      been a pretty consistent critic of this war, where I think there's some.

      GREGORY: But he did vote for it. He voted for the war.

      T. HAGEL: That's true.

      GREGORY: He voted to give the president the authority.

      T. HAGEL: That's true. And I remember watching that speech, and I
      thought it was going to be a run-up to all the reasons why he was not
      going to vote for it, and then he did. And I think he did that, quite
      frankly, out of party loyalty, or maybe he actually believed what the
      president was saying.

      GREGORY: But he thinks that vote was wrong now?

      T. HAGEL: Somebody's going to have to ask them that, and I'm sure
      somebody - if they haven't already - will.

      But again, the problem, that problem is going to be confronted by him,
      just like it is by Senator Clinton, about the concern about flip-flop,
      which is - I think maybe that defines how frivolous some people look
      at the process of political debate in this country.

      GREGORY: Well, Tom, let me ask you this. You're a Democrat.

      T. HAGEL: Yes.

      GREGORY: So, this is going to serve some of your - be a little bit
      self-serving. But you've talked to your brother. Your brother's an
      astute political analyst, as well as a senator.

      How hard does he think it's going to be for a Republican to win next year?

      T. HAGEL: I mean, he has not confided in me any great details that
      probably are not available to everybody else.

      But I don't think he is even focused on that. I think he is solely
      focused - to be real frank with you right now - I think he is solely
      focused on doing what he can to provide leadership to get out of this war.

      GREGORY: Right.

      T. HAGEL: Secondly, of course, I believe - I'm not, I don't have any
      inside information - but I believe he'll ultimately throw his hat in
      the ring. And I think that is going to be the primary, leading
      subject, if you will - goal, maybe - of coming up with some plan to
      get out of this mistaken war that we're in.

      GREGORY: You talk about war. Your life, your brother's life, very
      much defined by your service in Vietnam.

      T. HAGEL: Yes.

      GREGORY: Take me through that, serving with your brother, and your
      experience in Vietnam and how it has colored both of your views about
      this war.

      T. HAGEL: It can't help but color a person's view, regardless of what
      their service was.

      But our service was, we were infantry riflemen in the Mekong Delta in
      1968 - a bad year over there - and we saw a lot of the worst of it.

      And that's why I think his position on the war deserves so much more
      credibility than most other of his colleagues. Because when they talk
      about the war in Iraq, putting it on ground level, the best they can
      do, and rightfully so, is look at it in the abstract.

      He is maybe the only person in the Senate who actually knows what
      those folks are confronting each and every day.

      GREGORY: He's been in the mud .

      T. HAGEL: Yes, he has.

      GREGORY: And seen the hard reality of battle. He saved your life
      there, didn't he?

      T. HAGEL: Yes.

      GREGORY: Tell me about that.

      T. HAGEL: I don't know if I want to get into all that.

      GREGORY: It was a tough period.

      T. HAGEL: Yes. Very difficult.

      GREGORY: It was remarkable, wasn't it, that you two were even serving
      in the same place.

      T. HAGEL: Yes. Neither one of us can explain it. We were in, in
      fact, totally different ends of the country, and we end up not only in
      the same infantry division, but the same battalion, the same company
      and the same squad.

      And we were tighter in the field, I think altogether about seven or
      eight months of our time over there. So, we saw a lot of awful things.

      GREGORY: And you both came out with different views about the war in
      Vietnam.

      T. HAGEL: Initially, yes. When I left, I was absolutely frustrated
      and angry, because I felt that we had been lied to and misused, and
      that a lot of people lost their life and were affected through various
      types of wounds that would affect them the rest of their life - for
      nothing.

      And Chuck took the other end. And he believed that it was a justified
      war, justified conflict, our involvement was justified. And he held
      that position for a long time.

      But as he may tell you - I know he's talked about this with other
      people recently - that he has changed his mind dramatically on that.

      GREGORY: Just in case people are just looking up now, I just want to
      be very clear.

      Your view after this announcement today that left some people shaking
      their heads, is that this was just a precursor to your brother,
      Senator Hagel, getting into the race for president. That's your view,
      that that will happen in time.

      T. HAGEL: My gut tells me that is correct. I don't have any inside
      information. But knowing Chuck, I think that he is - it's just a
      matter of time.

      GREGORY: Do you think he'd win?

      T. HAGEL: I've talked to him about that. And I told him that, even
      though I'm a Democrat, if he wants to throw his hat in the ring, more
      power to him.

      I'm not going to be involved in the campaign, but I said that .

      GREGORY: Would you vote for him, though? Can he get his brother's vote?

      (LAUGHTER)

      T. HAGEL: Well, who knows who will be running, right?

      GREGORY: You're not going to commit yet?

      T. HAGEL: No, because I don't want to turn our relationship into, you
      know, I guess subject it to all the political problems that could arise.

      But one thing I told him is that, it's my belief that his biggest
      problem will be getting the nomination. Because the people who run
      the political - or, the Republican Party today, are the type of people
      who will punish him for being honest and taking a stand.

      GREGORY: All right. Tom Hagel, Senator Chuck Hagel's brother, coming
      on the program tonight, exclusively. Thanks very much.

      T. HAGEL: Thank you.
      © 2007 MSNBC Interactive