Bill Maher on Romney’s Mormonism

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2007
      http://www.bycommonconsent.com/2007/02/uh-oh/
      Uh-oh.
      By: Ronan - February 20, 2007

      Bill Maher's HBO show stirred-up some nice Mormon bashing this week.
      Maher's position is that all religions are crazy and the notion that
      only a "person of faith" should inhabit the White House is something
      to be raged against. But for Maher (whom I generally like, btw),
      Mormonism is especially "crazy."

      Speaking about Romney's Mormonism:

      "43% [of Americans] said they would not vote for a Mormon under any
      circumstances. We are not ready for a President who wears magic
      underwear."

      "In the 50's the Mormons preached that the only way a black man could
      get into heaven was as a slave."

      "People don't know about Mormonism. When they find out they will be
      amazed at how weird it really is…They believe in some stuff that is
      demonstrably…you can prove that it's not true. I mean you can't prove
      about Jesus, it was 2000 years ago, but Joseph Smith, the prophet of
      Mormonism lived less than two centuries ago, and he was, excuse me, a
      con man, and he did preach some really weird stuff that you can prove
      is not true, like…the Mormons believe that the Indians, the American
      Indians are a lost tribe of Israel. DNA testing shows that is not true."

      "Brigham Young said that race-mixing should be punishable by death."
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2007
        I am as non-religious as Maher, but I don't think Mormonism is
        especially crazy. I have Mormon relatives who have always seemed
        fairly ordinary to me. Their church has officially distanced itself
        from racism and polygamy, just like the Catholic church has from its
        old position that the sun orbits the earth. I do agree that prejudice
        against Mormons may keep Romney out of the White House, but it is sad
        that liberals like Maher would jump on that sort of bandwagon.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 14, 2007
          Aren't his statements true though? Like the one that Mormons, as
          recent as just half a century ago, used to think that blacks if ever
          ended up in heaven would still be slaves.

          Ram