Re: Over 20,000 Gather For Barack Obama

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
      LBJ went on national TV to give his Sherman statement on March 31, 1968:

      "Accordingly, I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination
      of my party for another term as your President."

      Bobby Kenney began his short-lived presidential campaign in early April.

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2007
        Thanks, Ram.. I remember seeing it on TV and I was too
        young to appreciate the significance of the event. I'm
        glad that Bobby didn't directly drive him out of the
        race, as much as they detested each other.
        I can't think of anyone who went through a more
        dramatic change during their post-presidency than LBJ,
        when he grew his hair long, almost as if he was
        embracing the protesters that had such a profound
        impact on him when in office. I personally find him
        the most interesting president since Truman. Just a
        thought.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2007
          LBJ is perhaps the most interesting president since Coolidge. Both are
          very complex personalities. Robert Caro has spent more than three
          decades of his life writing on LBJ. That says a lot about how
          important Johnson is to a great American historian/biographer.