Re: [prezveepsenator] Over 20,000 Gather For Barack Obama

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
      One of my clients was very anxious to see him. Can
      anyone think of a candidate in recent history that had
      this kind of buzz. Howard Dean in 2004? John McCain in
      2000 until he was slandered by the Bush Campaign? Pat
      Bucahan in '92? Perot in '92? Jesse Jackson in '88?
      Reagan in'80?

      http://keyetv.com/topstories/local_story_054223608.html

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
        Tom,

        You have to go back to Bobby Kennedy in 1968. And that's 7 months
        before the general election "southern-strategized" by Nixon, not more
        than 21 months away.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
          had LBJ announced that he was not running by then?

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
            LBJ went on national TV to give his Sherman statement on March 31, 1968:

            "Accordingly, I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination
            of my party for another term as your President."

            Bobby Kenney began his short-lived presidential campaign in early April.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 25, 2007
              Thanks, Ram.. I remember seeing it on TV and I was too
              young to appreciate the significance of the event. I'm
              glad that Bobby didn't directly drive him out of the
              race, as much as they detested each other.
              I can't think of anyone who went through a more
              dramatic change during their post-presidency than LBJ,
              when he grew his hair long, almost as if he was
              embracing the protesters that had such a profound
              impact on him when in office. I personally find him
              the most interesting president since Truman. Just a
              thought.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 25, 2007
                LBJ is perhaps the most interesting president since Coolidge. Both are
                very complex personalities. Robert Caro has spent more than three
                decades of his life writing on LBJ. That says a lot about how
                important Johnson is to a great American historian/biographer.