Over 20,000 Gather For Barack Obama

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
      Over 20,000 Gather For Barack Obama
      http://keyetv.com/topstories/local_story_054223608.html

      Nanci Wilson
      Reporting

      (CBS 42) AUSTIN If Friday's turnout is any indication, Democratic
      presidential hopeful Barack Obama is gaining huge momentum.

      Austin was one of the stops on his presidential announcement tour.

      More than 20,000 supporters filled Auditorium Shores to hear him
      speak. The crowd shows Obama's appeal crosses boundaries of age, race
      and gender.

      Long lines and rainy weather didn't keep supporters of the Democratic
      party's fastest rising star away.

      "He's not just a young persons person, but middle age and older people
      too," Dorothy Johson said.

      Obama is re-energizing voters.

      "I really haven't been involved in politics in quite some time," L.B.
      Henderson said. "I felt this is an opportunity to do some grassroots
      to see what's going on."

      Henderson likes what he hears from Obama.

      "He's got a lot of energy," Henderson said. "He's talking about
      change. That's going to make a difference."

      Obama stressed universal health care, education and pulling out of
      Iraq. Tom Rafferty says there's a lot more to Obama.

      "He's talking about domestic policy, he's talking about human rights,
      he's talking about energy and how we can rebuild this country,"
      Rafferty said.

      That's why these voters want to see Barack Obama in the White House in
      2008.

      (© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
        One of my clients was very anxious to see him. Can
        anyone think of a candidate in recent history that had
        this kind of buzz. Howard Dean in 2004? John McCain in
        2000 until he was slandered by the Bush Campaign? Pat
        Bucahan in '92? Perot in '92? Jesse Jackson in '88?
        Reagan in'80?

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
          Tom,

          You have to go back to Bobby Kennedy in 1968. And that's 7 months
          before the general election "southern-strategized" by Nixon, not more
          than 21 months away.

          Ram

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
            had LBJ announced that he was not running by then?

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
              LBJ went on national TV to give his Sherman statement on March 31, 1968:

              "Accordingly, I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination
              of my party for another term as your President."

              Bobby Kenney began his short-lived presidential campaign in early April.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 25, 2007
                Thanks, Ram.. I remember seeing it on TV and I was too
                young to appreciate the significance of the event. I'm
                glad that Bobby didn't directly drive him out of the
                race, as much as they detested each other.
                I can't think of anyone who went through a more
                dramatic change during their post-presidency than LBJ,
                when he grew his hair long, almost as if he was
                embracing the protesters that had such a profound
                impact on him when in office. I personally find him
                the most interesting president since Truman. Just a
                thought.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 25, 2007
                  LBJ is perhaps the most interesting president since Coolidge. Both are
                  very complex personalities. Robert Caro has spent more than three
                  decades of his life writing on LBJ. That says a lot about how
                  important Johnson is to a great American historian/biographer.