Wash. initiative would require married couples to have kids

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
      http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washington/stories/NW_020507WABinitiative957SW.546c6a4d.html

      12:59 PM PST on Tuesday, February 6, 2007

      KING5.com Staff and Associated Press

      OLYMPIA, Wash. - An initiative filed by proponents of
      same-sex marriage would require heterosexual couples
      to have kids within three years or else have their
      marriage annulled.

      Initiative 957 was filed by the Washington Defense of
      Marriage Alliance. That group was formed last summer
      after the state Supreme Court upheld Washington's ban
      on same-sex marriage.

      Under the initiative, marriage would be limited to men
      and women who are able to have children. Couples would
      be required to prove they can have children in order
      to get a marriage license, and if they did not have
      children within three years, their marriage would be
      subject to annulment.

      All other marriages would be defined as "unrecognized"
      and people in those marriages would be ineligible to
      receive any marriage benefits.

      “For many years, social conservatives have claimed
      that marriage exists solely for the purpose of
      procreation ... The time has come for these
      conservatives to be dosed with their own medicine,"
      said WA-DOMA organizer Gregory Gadow in a printed
      statement. “If same-sex couples should be barred from
      marriage because they can not have children together,
      it follows that all couples who cannot or will not
      have children together should equally be barred from
      marriage."

      Supporters must gather more than 224,000 valid
      signatures by July 6 to put the initiative on the
      November ballot.

      Opponents say the measure is another attack on
      traditional marriage, but supporters say the move is
      needed to have a discussion on the high court ruling.
    • richard kelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
        I guess April Fools came early this year?

        Richard Kelly

        http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washington/stories/NW_020507WABinitiative957SW.546c6a4d.html

        > Wash. initiative would require married couples to
        > have
        > kids
        >
        > 12:59 PM PST on Tuesday, February 6, 2007
        >
        > KING5.com Staff and Associated Press
        >
        > OLYMPIA, Wash. - An initiative filed by proponents
        > of
        > same-sex marriage would require heterosexual couples
        > to have kids within three years or else have their
        > marriage annulled.
        >
        > Initiative 957 was filed by the Washington Defense
        > of
        > Marriage Alliance. That group was formed last summer
        > after the state Supreme Court upheld Washington's
        > ban
        > on same-sex marriage.
        >
        > Under the initiative, marriage would be limited to
        > men
        > and women who are able to have children. Couples
        > would
        > be required to prove they can have children in order
        > to get a marriage license, and if they did not have
        > children within three years, their marriage would be
        > subject to annulment.
        >
        > All other marriages would be defined as
        > "unrecognized"
        > and people in those marriages would be ineligible to
        > receive any marriage benefits.
        >
        > “For many years, social conservatives have claimed
        > that marriage exists solely for the purpose of
        > procreation ... The time has come for these
        > conservatives to be dosed with their own medicine,"
        > said WA-DOMA organizer Gregory Gadow in a printed
        > statement. “If same-sex couples should be barred
        > from
        > marriage because they can not have children
        > together,
        > it follows that all couples who cannot or will not
        > have children together should equally be barred from
        > marriage."
        >
        > Supporters must gather more than 224,000 valid
        > signatures by July 6 to put the initiative on the
        > November ballot.
        >
        > Opponents say the measure is another attack on
        > traditional marriage, but supporters say the move is
        > needed to have a discussion on the high court
        > ruling.

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
      • Gregory
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
          I think one could go down the list of the reasons why supposedly gay
          people should not be allowed to marry and make a fine set of
          requirements for straight couples.. All marriages must be monogamous
          and any sign of being unfaithful or promiscuous would nullify the
          marriage.

          All marriages must be loving, caring, and supportive (that alone
          would kill a good number of licenses—this idea by the way shows up in
          many "domestic partner agreements" used by large companies today—I
          know of any number of really loveless relationships but yet they
          still get the tax benefits and all the rest).

          All marriages must be only between people of one race as mixing the
          races are unnatural. No mixing of religions either, lest we invoke
          the wrath of the Gods.

          Anyone who isn't "pure" on his or her wedding day can't get married.
          Abstinence is the only righteous thing, as we all know.

          Here, in WI, we heard over an over again that gay marriage would cost
          the society too much since we would then have to extend benefits to
          the partners. Perhaps then it should only be gay people who get
          married because insuring two people who have NO chance of reproducing
          is certainly cheaper than insuring some of these families who are
          popping out kids every other year for a decade or so.

          We also heard about how many diseases gay people carry (that idiot
          Ronald Regan who made HIV/AIDS a gay disease in the 80's so as not to
          have to deal with it truthfully)—so I guess anyone who has ever had
          any sort of venereal disease—especially those with genital herpes who
          need the Valtrex being advertised on TV—or even mononucleosis "the
          kissing disease" for that matter, should never be allowed to marry.

          Choosing one arbitrary characteristic to make the policy on is what
          is most ridiculous, and what makes it so difficult to combat and
          change. The idea of heterosexual privilege is a powerful reason to
          keep the status quo.

          Gregory

          > I guess April Fools came early this year?
          >
          > Richard Kelly
          > --- Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...> wrote:

          http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washington/stories/NW_020507WABinitiativ
          e957SW.546c6a4d.html

          > > Wash. initiative would require married couples to
          > > have
          > > kids
          > >
          > > 12:59 PM PST on Tuesday, February 6, 2007
          > >
          > > KING5.com Staff and Associated Press
          > >
          > > OLYMPIA, Wash. - An initiative filed by proponents
          > > of
          > > same-sex marriage would require heterosexual couples
          > > to have kids within three years or else have their
          > > marriage annulled.
          > >
          > > Initiative 957 was filed by the Washington Defense
          > > of
          > > Marriage Alliance. That group was formed last summer
          > > after the state Supreme Court upheld Washington's
          > > ban
          > > on same-sex marriage.
          > >
          > > Under the initiative, marriage would be limited to
          > > men
          > > and women who are able to have children. Couples
          > > would
          > > be required to prove they can have children in order
          > > to get a marriage license, and if they did not have
          > > children within three years, their marriage would be
          > > subject to annulment.
          > >
          > > All other marriages would be defined as
          > > "unrecognized"
          > > and people in those marriages would be ineligible to
          > > receive any marriage benefits.
          > >
          > > "For many years, social conservatives have claimed
          > > that marriage exists solely for the purpose of
          > > procreation ... The time has come for these
          > > conservatives to be dosed with their own medicine,"
          > > said WA-DOMA organizer Gregory Gadow in a printed
          > > statement. "If same-sex couples should be barred
          > > from
          > > marriage because they can not have children
          > > together,
          > > it follows that all couples who cannot or will not
          > > have children together should equally be barred from
          > > marriage."
          > >
          > > Supporters must gather more than 224,000 valid
          > > signatures by July 6 to put the initiative on the
          > > November ballot.
          > >
          > > Opponents say the measure is another attack on
          > > traditional marriage, but supporters say the move is
          > > needed to have a discussion on the high court
          > > ruling.

          > http://new.mail.yahoo.com

        • richard kelly
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
            Gregory:

            You might have the idea here for a pretty good movie,
            kind of a "1984" scenerio.

            Richard Kelly

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com