Re: What if there were no 12th Amendment?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5 6:50 AM
      Greg,

      I don't really have a serious answer for this one, because the 12th
      amendment would have to be passed as partisan politics came along in
      the early 19th century, if not as early as 1800. Had the amendment not
      been passed prior to 1824, Congress would definitely have done that
      after that troubling election.

      History would have been very different from that point on had the 12nd
      amendment never been enacted. So there's no point to think about what
      the presidential election would have looked like in 1960. The
      manifesto destiny might not have gotten as far as California because
      of the lack of the 12nd amendment, and thus there would be no Dick Nixon!

      My most informed guess is that the Union would not have survived the
      Civil War. There would simply be a lot of presidential (and
      vice-presidential) assassinations right before and during the War and
      the control of the White House would be switching between the
      Republicans and the Democrats. (Note that Andrew Johnson was chosen
      for Lincoln's second term, when the Civil War was by and large over.)