Clinton promises to end war if elected

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2007
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/ap_on_el_pr/democrats2008;_ylt=AqDFR3zSGgf8u8.5RvpnTXkb.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NGRzMjRtBHNlYwMxNjk5

      Clinton promises to end war if elected

      By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer Fri Feb 2,
      4:29 PM ET

      WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said Friday
      she would not have attacked Iraq if she were president
      in 2002 and would end the war if elected, as she tried
      to blunt rivals like John Edwards who are stoking
      anti-war passions in the Democratic Party.

      Clinton, raising her voice at one point to be heard
      above anti-war hecklers, suggested that calls from
      Edwards and others to cut off funding for
      President Bush's troop increase are unlikely to win
      approval in a narrowly divided Senate.

      "Believe me, I understand the frustration and the
      outrage," Clinton said in a speech to the
      Democratic National Committee meeting that brought the
      party's nine White House hopefuls together for the
      first time. "You have to have 60 votes to cap troops,
      to limit funding to do anything. If we in Congress
      don't end this war before January 2009, as president,
      I will."

      The New York senator's comments were her strongest
      against the war and signal an effort to confront one
      of the biggest threats to her front-runner status. As
      the conflict nears the four-year mark, she has been on
      the opposite side of the most outspoken anti-war
      activists who are a force in the Democratic primaries.

      Sen. Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record) of
      Illinois reminded the party's rank-and-file — twice —
      that he was against the Iraq invasion from the
      beginning.

      "But whether you were for it or against it then, we
      all have a responsibility now to put forth a plan that
      offers the best chance of ending the bloodshed and
      bringing the troops home," Obama told the audience.

      Edwards voted with Clinton in 2002 to authorize Bush's
      war against Iraq, a vote he defended during his 2004
      presidential race but has since said was a mistake.
      The former North Carolina senator has gone from being
      a war apologist to one of the most outspoken critics
      of the invasion in this campaign.

      "Silence is a betrayal," Edwards said, one of 11 times
      he used the word betrayal in his 18-minute speech. "It
      is a betrayal not to stop this president's plan to
      escalate the war when we have the responsibility, the
      power and the ability to stop it. We cannot be
      satisfied with passing nonbinding resolutions that we
      know this president will ignore."

      Edwards was referring to a measure being debated in
      the Senate that would say lawmakers disagree with the
      president's decision to increase troop levels in an
      effort to stabilize Baghdad. Connecticut Sen. Chris
      Dodd, another 2008 candidate, also criticized the
      effort as meaningless.

      "I don't believe spending a week debating a nonbinding
      resolution is the change that America voted for" in
      November when Democrats won a majority in Congress,
      Dodd said. "With all due respect, a real bill and real
      teeth and real accountability is what is needed in our
      country again."

      Clinton said while the resolution may not be perfect,
      it represents the first time Congress has stood
      against the president on the war.

      "There are many people who wish we could do more,"
      Clinton said.

      "You can!" came a call from a small gathering of
      activists from the peace group Code Pink. Others in
      their group standing along a side wall chimed in,
      calling for a binding resolution that would end the
      war immediately, while some nearby audience members
      asked them to quiet down.

      "But let me say," Clinton said, her voice rising above
      the din, "that if we can get a large, bipartisan vote
      to disapprove this president's plan for escalation,
      that will be the first time that we will have said no
      to President Bush and began to reverse his policies.
      Now, I want to go further."

      "Bring them home, then," said a man dressed in desert
      camouflage that said "Iraq Veterans Against the War."
      Clinton said she has proposed capping U.S. troop
      levels and pulling funding for Iraqi forces, but won't
      cut funding for U.S. troops while they are on the
      battlefield.

      "And let me add one other thing, and I want to be very
      clear about this," she said. "If I had been president
      in October of 2002, I would not have started this
      war."

      Former Gen.
      Wesley Clark, who has not indicated whether he will
      run, said he's the only potential candidate with the
      battlefield experience to succeed in Iraq.

      Ohio Rep.
      Dennis Kucinich called for an immediate end to the war
      — the same message he ran on in 2004. But it's now is
      being echoed by several other candidates in a stronger
      position to win the nomination.

      ___

      On the Net:

      http://www.democrats.org