Jim Webb's response

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2007
      http://www.democrats.org/a/2007/01/the_democratic_16.php

      Below is the text of the Democratic Response to the
      State of the Union address, as prepared for delivery.

      Good evening.

      I'm Senator Jim Webb, from Virginia, where this
      year we will celebrate the 400th anniversary of the
      settlement of Jamestown – an event that marked the
      first step in the long journey that has made us the
      greatest and most prosperous nation on earth.

      It would not be possible in this short amount of
      time to actually rebut the President's message, nor
      would it be useful. Let me simply say that we in the
      Democratic Party hope that this administration is
      serious about improving education and healthcare for
      all Americans, and addressing such domestic priorities
      as restoring the vitality of New Orleans.

      Further, this is the seventh time the President
      has mentioned energy independence in his state of the
      union message, but for the first time this exchange is
      taking place in a Congress led by the Democratic
      Party. We are looking for affirmative solutions that
      will strengthen our nation by freeing us from our
      dependence on foreign oil, and spurring a wave of
      entrepreneurial growth in the form of alternate energy
      programs. We look forward to working with the
      President and his party to bring about these changes.

      There are two areas where our respective parties
      have largely stood in contradiction, and I want to
      take a few minutes to address them tonight. The first
      relates to how we see the health of our economy – how
      we measure it, and how we ensure that its benefits are
      properly shared among all Americans. The second
      regards our foreign policy – how we might bring the
      war in Iraq to a proper conclusion that will also
      allow us to continue to fight the war against
      international terrorism, and to address other
      strategic concerns that our country faces around the
      world.

      When one looks at the health of our economy, it's
      almost as if we are living in two different countries.
      Some say that things have never been better. The stock
      market is at an all-time high, and so are corporate
      profits. But these benefits are not being fairly
      shared. When I graduated from college, the average
      corporate CEO made 20 times what the average worker
      did; today, it's nearly 400 times. In other words, it
      takes the average worker more than a year to make the
      money that his or her boss makes in one day.

      Wages and salaries for our workers are at all-time
      lows as a percentage of national wealth, even though
      the productivity of American workers is the highest in
      the world. Medical costs have skyrocketed. College
      tuition rates are off the charts. Our manufacturing
      base is being dismantled and sent overseas. Good
      American jobs are being sent along with them.

      In short, the middle class of this country, our
      historic backbone and our best hope for a strong
      society in the future, is losing its place at the
      table. Our workers know this, through painful
      experience. Our white-collar professionals are
      beginning to understand it, as their jobs start
      disappearing also. And they expect, rightly, that in
      this age of globalization, their government has a duty
      to insist that their concerns be dealt with fairly in
      the international marketplace.

      In the early days of our republic, President
      Andrew Jackson established an important principle of
      American-style democracy – that we should measure the
      health of our society not at its apex, but at its
      base. Not with the numbers that come out of Wall
      Street, but with the living conditions that exist on
      Main Street. We must recapture that spirit today.

      And under the leadership of the new Democratic
      Congress, we are on our way to doing so. The House
      just passed a minimum wage increase, the first in ten
      years, and the Senate will soon follow. We've
      introduced a broad legislative package designed to
      regain the trust of the American people. We've
      established a tone of cooperation and consensus that
      extends beyond party lines. We're working to get the
      right things done, for the right people and for the
      right reasons.

      With respect to foreign policy, this country has
      patiently endured a mismanaged war for nearly four
      years. Many, including myself, warned even before the
      war began that it was unnecessary, that it would take
      our energy and attention away from the larger war
      against terrorism, and that invading and occupying
      Iraq would leave us strategically vulnerable in the
      most violent and turbulent corner of the world.

      I want to share with all of you a picture that I
      have carried with me for more than 50 years. This is
      my father, when he was a young Air Force captain,
      flying cargo planes during the Berlin Airlift. He sent
      us the picture from Germany, as we waited for him,
      back here at home. When I was a small boy, I used to
      take the picture to bed with me every night, because
      for more than three years my father was deployed,
      unable to live with us full-time, serving overseas or
      in bases where there was no family housing. I still
      keep it, to remind me of the sacrifices that my mother
      and others had to make, over and over again, as my
      father gladly served our country. I was proud to
      follow in his footsteps, serving as a Marine in
      Vietnam. My brother did as well, serving as a Marine
      helicopter pilot. My son has joined the tradition, now
      serving as an infantry Marine in Iraq.

      Like so many other Americans, today and throughout
      our history, we serve and have served, not for
      political reasons, but because we love our country. On
      the political issues – those matters of war and peace,
      and in some cases of life and death – we trusted the
      judgment of our national leaders. We hoped that they
      would be right, that they would measure with accuracy
      the value of our lives against the enormity of the
      national interest that might call upon us to go into
      harm's way.

      We owed them our loyalty, as Americans, and we
      gave it. But they owed us – sound judgment, clear
      thinking, concern for our welfare, a guarantee that
      the threat to our country was equal to the price we
      might be called upon to pay in defending it.

      The President took us into this war recklessly. He
      disregarded warnings from the national security
      adviser during the first Gulf War, the chief of staff
      of the army, two former commanding generals of the
      Central Command, whose jurisdiction includes Iraq, the
      director of operations on the Joint Chiefs of Staff,
      and many, many others with great integrity and long
      experience in national security affairs. We are now,
      as a nation, held hostage to the predictable – and
      predicted – disarray that has followed.

      The war's costs to our nation have been
      staggering.

      Financially.

      The damage to our reputation around the world.

      The lost opportunities to defeat the forces of
      international terrorism.

      And especially the precious blood of our citizens
      who have stepped forward to serve.

      The majority of the nation no longer supports the
      way this war is being fought; nor does the majority of
      our military. We need a new direction. Not one step
      back from the war against international terrorism. Not
      a precipitous withdrawal that ignores the possibility
      of further chaos. But an immediate shift toward strong
      regionally-based diplomacy, a policy that takes our
      soldiers off the streets of Iraq's cities, and a
      formula that will in short order allow our combat
      forces to leave Iraq.

      On both of these vital issues, our economy and our
      national security, it falls upon those of us in
      elected office to take action.

      Regarding the economic imbalance in our country, I
      am reminded of the situation President Theodore
      Roosevelt faced in the early days of the 20th century.
      America was then, as now, drifting apart along class
      lines. The so-called robber barons were
      unapologetically raking in a huge percentage of the
      national wealth. The dispossessed workers at the
      bottom were threatening revolt.

      Roosevelt spoke strongly against these divisions.
      He told his fellow Republicans that they must set
      themselves "as resolutely against improper corporate
      influence on the one hand as against demagogy and mob
      rule on the other." And he did something about it.

      As I look at Iraq, I recall the words of former
      general and soon-to-be President Dwight Eisenhower
      during the dark days of the Korean War, which had
      fallen into a bloody stalemate. "When comes the end?"
      asked the General who had commanded our forces in
      Europe during World War Two. And as soon as he became
      President, he brought the Korean War to an end.

      These Presidents took the right kind of action,
      for the benefit of the American people and for the
      health of our relations around the world. Tonight we
      are calling on this President to take similar action,
      in both areas. If he does, we will join him. If he
      does not, we will be showing him the way.

      Thank you for listening. And God bless America.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2007
        Webb for President!

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...>