Libby: I will not be sacrificed so Karl Rove can be protected

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
      http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/23/D8MR4CVG0.html

      Lawyers Paint Libby As Sacrificial Lamb

      Jan 23 12:30 PM US/Eastern

      By MATT APUZZO
      Associated Press Writer

      WASHINGTON (AP) -- Attorneys for former White House
      aide "Scooter" Libby said Tuesday that Bush
      administration officials tried to blame him for the
      leak of a CIA operative's name to cover up for
      presidential adviser Karl Rove's own disclosures.

      The prosecution insisted that it was Libby, Vice
      President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, who lied about
      his role in the case.

      As the trial opened with a preview of each side's
      case, it was clear that the jury will be tasked with
      sorting through conflicting statements.

      Attorney Theodore Wells, in the opening statements of
      I. Lewis Libby's perjury trial, said Libby went to
      Cheney in 2003 and complained that the White House was
      subtly blaming him for leaking Valerie Plame's
      identity to columnist Robert Novak.

      "They're trying to set me up. They want me to be the
      sacrificial lamb," Wells said, recalling the
      conversation between Libby and Cheney. "I will not be
      sacrificed so Karl Rove can be protected."

      Wells' comments followed an opening statement by
      Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald, who said that
      the case arose as the White House was "under direct
      attack" and pushed back against criticism by former
      ambassador Joseph Wilson.

      Fitzgerald said Cheney told Libby in 2003 that
      Wilson's wife worked for the CIA and Libby spread that
      information to reporters. When that information got
      out, it triggered a federal investigation.

      "But when the FBI and grand jury asked about what the
      defendant did," Fitzgerald said, "he made up a story."

      Libby is charged with perjury and obstruction. He told
      investigators he was surprised to learn Wilson's
      wife's identity from NBC News reporter Tim Russert,
      not from the vice president. But Fitzgerald told
      jurors that was clearly a lie because Libby had
      already been discussing the matter inside and outside
      of the White House.

      "You can't learn something on Thursday that you're
      giving out on Monday," Fitzgerald said.

      Libby says he didn't lie but was simply bogged down by
      national security issues and couldn't remember details
      of what he told reporters about Plame.

      Fitzgerald believes Libby feared political
      embarrassment and worried he might lose his job for
      discussing classified information with reporters.
      President Bush originally threatened to fire anyone
      who disclosed such information so, Fitzgerald says
      Libby had a reason to lie.

      The jury of nine women and three men will spend more
      than a month listening to conflicting statements from
      members of the Bush administration and journalists,
      trying to sort out the truth.

      Libby's defense attorneys have spent days trying to
      weed critics of the Bush administration out of the
      jury pool. In a city where Democrats outnumber
      Republicans more than 9-to-1, that wasn't easy. The
      final panel contains four people who criticized or
      doubted the administration's war policies.

      Fitzgerald told jurors that the trial isn't about the
      war but that the case will be set against the backdrop
      of the first months of the invasion. He is expected to
      tell jurors that the White House was preoccupied with
      discrediting Wilson's criticisms, so it's unlikely
      Libby forgot that effort.

      Libby plans to testify and tell jurors he had many
      other issues on his mind at the time, such as
      terrorist threats and emerging nuclear programs
      overseas. Attorneys say they expect Cheney to testify
      for the defense. Historians say that would be a first
      for a sitting vice president.

      ___

      Associated Press Writer Michael J. Sniffen contributed
      to this report
    • richard kelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
        Why is the Associated Press trying to misinform
        people? Richard Armitige has already admitted he
        was the source of the leak. All Libby is accused
        of is perjury.

        I seem to recall that when the Clintons were under
        investigation, you'd hear how it was a huge waste
        of taxpayer money...so, how much is this one costing?

        Richard Kelly

> [...]
        > doubted the administration's war policies.
        >
        > Fitzgerald told jurors that the trial isn't about
        > the
        > war but that the case will be set against the
        > backdrop
        > of the first months of the invasion. He is expected
        > tell jurors that the White House was preoccupied
        > with
        > discrediting Wilson's criticisms, so it's unlikely
        > Libby forgot that effort.
        >
        > Libby plans to testify and tell jurors he had many
        > other issues on his mind at the time, such as
        > terrorist threats and emerging nuclear programs
        > overseas. Attorneys say they expect Cheney to
        > testify
        > for the defense. Historians say that would be a
        > first
        > for a sitting vice president.
        >
        > ___
        >
        > Associated Press Writer Michael J. Sniffen

        Finding fabulous fares is fun.
      • Gregory
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, richard kelly
          <richwkelly@...> wrote:

          First, AP is not misinforming people. The story to which you refer
          is based on the facts that took place today, and the quotes were
          sourced. How then is this misinformation?

          Second, we must recall that Clinton had an affair with an interm and
          lied about it under oath. The matter at hand here was about a war
          that has now killed over 3,000 U.S. soldiers and well over 100,000
          Iraqi's...probally more since there is no record keeping that gives
          us a firm number.

          The cost for this trial is more than justified. What price do you
          put on the life of a soldier that died for a lie?

          Gregory

          ______________
          > Finding fabulous fares is fun.
          flight and hotel bargains.

        • richard kelly
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
            Thats rather far fetched, dont you think?
            Its hardly at all about the war. The war
            would have occured totally regardless of
            whether Ambassador Wilson and his wife had
            their 15 minutes of fame, made their many
            well publicized accusations, etc.

            Richard Kelly

            === message truncated ===

            Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.