Re: [prezveepsenator] Reagan, the South and Civil Rights

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
      Great post, Ram.. Incidentally, can anyone think of a
      more important American historical figure in the 20th
      century than MLK?

      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1953700&columnId=1929301

> [...]
      > any racism implicit
      > in those policies. Even when he was characterizing
      > poor women as
      > welfare queens driving around in pink Cadillacs, he
      > said it was a
      > merely matter of encouraging people to pull
      > themselves up by the
      > bootstraps. The America he seemed to envision had no
      > need to deal with
      > racial divisions, and he said his only desire was to
      > encourage
      > self-sufficiency for all Americans and to reduce all
      > Americans'
      > dependence on government programs.
      >
      > Today it is hard to believe that Reagan had such
      > success using the
      > Civil Rights Act as a whipping boy. The Civil Rights
      > Act is now so
      > widely accepted that it doesn't attract controversy
      > in any region of
      > the country -- including the South. There is no
      > debate about the right
      > of black people, Hispanics or Asians to stay in a
      > hotel, shop in a
      > store or to apply for a job without fear of racial
      > discrimination.
      >
      > In 2004, minorities are one-third of the national
      > population and it is
      > hard to understand how anyone could have ever argued
      > in favor of
      > allowing states to practice racial discrimination.
      > It is even harder
      > to remember that in June of 1963 President Kennedy
      > -- with race riots
      > threatening to erupt nationwide -- had to go on
      > national TV to say
      > that arguments over whether blacks could eat at a
      > lunch counter were
      > creating a moral crisis for a nation.
      >
      > After Kennedy's death, Johnson was able to
      > accelerate what Dr. Martin
      > Luther King had called "a horse and buggy pace" on
      > civil rights
      > legislation. To lessen Southern opposition, the
      > former senator from
      > Texas stripped voting rights out of the bill and
      > made it clear that
      > the act did not require racial quotas for hiring
      > employees.
      >
      > Johnson's maneuvers won him support from moderate
      > Republicans as well
      > as from Democrats in the North, Midwest and West.
      > But the South was
      > not won over. And as Johnson predicted, his victory
      > had a bitter after
      > taste. It sent the likes of Sen. Strom Thurmond of
      > South Carolina and
      > eventually other leading Southern politicians into
      > the embrace of the
      > Republican Party. And there they found themselves in
      > the company of
      > another former Democrat, Ronald Reagan.
      >
      > Now the nation celebrates the life and legacy of
      > Reagan with a state
      > funeral just days before celebrations are scheduled
      > to begin for the
      > 40th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act. Reagan's

      === message truncated ===
    • richard kelly
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
        Tom:

        Actually there are several more important American
        figures, for starters, Theodore and Franklin D.
        Roosevelt, Ike, Harry Truman, and Woodrow Wilson.

        Richard Kelly

        Have a burning question?
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
          I would repectfully disagree with that, Richard. With
          exception oF Wilson, I'm a fan of all those guys, but
          I'm not sure any of them had the long term impact of
          MLK. It's a fun discussion and I appreciate your
          opinion.

          Tom

          === message truncated ===
        • richard kelly
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
            Tom:

            You could be right. The latest issue of Atlantic
            Monthly has a good article on the 100 most influential
            Americans and Dr. King is listed as number 8 or 9, up
            there with the likes of Thomas Jefferson, George
            Washington, Alexander Hamilton, Abraham Lincoln, Ben
            Franklin and Franklin D. Roosevelt.

            === message truncated ===

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
              And you could well be right, Richard, especially in
              the cases of the Roosevelts.. Teddy for his hand into
              turning the US into a dominant world power and FDR for
              changing the way that people looked to the US govt.
              It's a fun topic to bat around.

              === message truncated ===
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
                I was in DC during the MLK weekend, and saw all the museums and
                memorials. The good stuff. Enjoyed it all.

                There were quite a few "important" 20th century people on my list. I
                agree with those that you all have already mentioned, but I'd add
                Eleanor Roosevelt, Earl Warren, Thurgood Marshall, Albert Einstein,
                Lyndon Johnson (as a Senator and a President), and Hubert Humphrey.
                Note that Johnson and Humphrey were the only Americans who have served
                as the Vice President to lie in state at the Capitol besides Henry
                Wilson, who died in his Senate office in 1875.

                I'm glad that nobody has brought up the Kennedys and Reagan yet.

                Ram

                --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>