Biden Joins List of Presidential Contenders

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2007
      January 8, 2007
      Biden Joins List of Presidential Contenders
      By THE NEW YORK TIMES
      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/08/us/politics/08biden.html

      WASHINGTON, Jan. 7 — Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware on Sunday
      became the fourth Democrat to formally announce plans to run for
      president next year.

      "I am running for president," Mr. Biden said toward the end of an
      appearance on "Meet the Press" on NBC.

      "I'm going to be Joe Biden, and I'm going to try to be the best Biden
      I can be," he said. "If I can, I got a shot. If I can't, I lose."

      He said he would file paperwork by the end of the month to establish
      an exploratory committee to gather support for his bid.

      Mr. Biden, who was first elected to the Senate in 1972, also sought
      the presidential nomination in 1988. But he dropped out of the race
      after admitting that he had used speeches by other politicians without
      attribution, and after reports that he had plagiarized while in law
      school.

      Mr. Biden, chairman of the Committee on Foreign Relations, joins a
      widening field of Democratic presidential hopefuls. The others who
      have officially announced their candidacies are former Senator John
      Edwards of North Carolina, Representative Dennis J. Kucinich of Ohio
      and Gov. Tom Vilsack of Iowa.

      Other potential Democratic contenders include Senators Hilary Rodham
      Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois. Among Republicans,
      Senator John McCain of Arizona, former Gov. George E. Pataki of New
      York and Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former New York City mayor, are
      expected to run.