The mess in Iraq-related

  • Richard Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2007
      Greetings.

      Thinking about the current situation in Iraq, I was trying to
      recall. When the citizens of Iraq had the famous elections and
      approved a new constitution, wasn't it be a "unity" government
      with Shiites, Sunnis, Kurds, all involved? Why didn't that work?
      Could that kind of concept ever work in Iraq?

      Thanks,

      Richard Kelly
    • Gregory
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2007
        The idea of a "unity" government in Iraq is a concept that has more
        U.S. political spin to it than Middle East reality. In nations such
        as Iraq, that were never true nation-states, there is a whole
        different dynamic at work that many refuse to recognize.

        When a citizen of Iraq wakes up they do not think first of their
        country. From their viewpoint they are a member of an ethnic group,
        tribe, or religion, and the idea of allegiance to a nation is way
        down the list. The fact that the west created Iraq and then thought
        all parties would live happily together has never worked. The sad
        fact is that Saddam used his dictatorial powers and brutal nature to
        make the country's festering hatred stay muted for the most past.
        Not pretty, but true. Tito in a different way did the same for
        Yugoslavia. Chaos resulted from their exits from the world stage.

        The election in Iraq was used for political consumption in America to
        make some consider the Bush Administration's flawed policy sound like
        it had merit.. In reality the citizens of Iraq knew as a result of
        the election the new powers had stacked the police and security
        apparatus with Shia followers who have a vendetta against the Suni
        minority. The Kurds knew they had to plow ahead with hopes of
        autonomy in the north. There was never any attempt to divide oil
        revenues. The militias that see their power based on who they are
        vs. the nation they live in, are strongly connected to various
        players in the government. Again the militias mindset is pointed out
        in paragraph two, above.

        We should remember that President Bush (41) stopped the first Iraq
        war and did not go into Baghdad, and those who knew the history of
        the region applauded. Those who felt that history served no purpose
        and that we could foist our version of democracy on Iraq in the same
        fashion that we created the nation in the first place have now a hell
        of mess on their hands…..and over 3000 dead American soldiers……..and
        many tens of thousand of Iraq citizens dead as a result.

        This war has created a mess in the Middle East where our credibility
        has shrunk, ruined our friendships with western nations, sapped our
        resources since the war costs $2 BILLION dollars per week, strained
        out military so that if there was a real need for our troops to fight
        they would be hampered with shortages, created deep political
        divisions in America, and hindered future Presidents from saying we
        need to send troops somewhere because the American public knows that
        we were misled with that argument about Iraq.

        Well…..I went a little longer and further than I had planned…but I
        will send this anyway.

        Take care.

        Gregory

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Kelly"