Re: A few thoughts about President Ford

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
      Very well said, Gregory.

      I just came back from my first visit to Philadelphia, a city that a
      history buff enjoyed very much.Gerald Ford is no Benjamin Franklin.
      (Indeed, very few Americans ever lived can be compared to Franklin.)
      But it seems to me that Ford was a man who truly cared about his
      country, and a man who meant to serve his country the best he could in
      Congress and in the Oval Office. While moderate Republicans like
      himself are becoming non-existent, President Ford is a figure that
      many miss for ever more.

      There should be bipartisan support for the cliche: "The world is a
      better place because he lived."

      Ram

      <http://dekerivers.wordpress.com/2006/09/09/hats-off-to-president-jerry-\

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
        Gregory:
        I remember your post, and you convinced me that I had
        been wrong about resenting the pardon all these years.
        It's my opinion that he and Jimmy Carter were the last
        Presidents to consistently put the welfare of the
        country before political expediency. It's a rare
        quality and one that I hope the historians will come
        to consider his defining characteristic.
        Much like Taft, the Presidency was a job that he never
        wanted, but when called to serve, he did so admirably,
        in my opinion.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
          It was ironic that he was lampooned for being clumsy
          because, as far as I know, he was the only President
          to be an All-American athlete, as a Michigan football
          player, no less.
          I have no way of knowing whether the following story
          is true, but I think it's funny:
          Reputedly, after beaning a couple of spectators in a
          golf tournament, Ford was lining up a putt and asked
          his caddy for advice. "Try to keep it low,' was the
          reply.

          Tom