A few thoughts about President Ford

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2006

      It was not unexpected, and yet it is a national time of sorrow to hear that President Gerald Ford has died.  I think that President Ford well served his country by granting a pardon to Richard Nixon in 1974.  I wrote about this matter in a post just a few months ago.

      There have been many points of view about the pardon over the decades but I still view Ford's action to be one of the most sincere and brave decisions that any President has made in my lifetime.  I grew up in the final months of Watergate and was fascinated as a child by the events taking place in Washington.  I have spent the past 20 years as an avid reader and thinker about the life and times of Richard Nixon, and my bookshelves have more than 40 volumes about the man.  As a result I have a very firm set of beliefs about the actions of President Ford when he granted the pardon.  There is every reason to have wanted Nixon to be brought to justice, but President Ford understood that there was a difference between what the nation wanted, and what it needed.  It was because Ford showed real leadership that our national nightmare did end.

      It is a grateful nation that bids him farewell.

      Gregory

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
        Very well said, Gregory.

        I just came back from my first visit to Philadelphia, a city that a
        history buff enjoyed very much.Gerald Ford is no Benjamin Franklin.
        (Indeed, very few Americans ever lived can be compared to Franklin.)
        But it seems to me that Ford was a man who truly cared about his
        country, and a man who meant to serve his country the best he could in
        Congress and in the Oval Office. While moderate Republicans like
        himself are becoming non-existent, President Ford is a figure that
        many miss for ever more.

        There should be bipartisan support for the cliche: "The world is a
        better place because he lived."

        Ram

        <http://dekerivers.wordpress.com/2006/09/09/hats-off-to-president-jerry-\

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
          Gregory:
          I remember your post, and you convinced me that I had
          been wrong about resenting the pardon all these years.
          It's my opinion that he and Jimmy Carter were the last
          Presidents to consistently put the welfare of the
          country before political expediency. It's a rare
          quality and one that I hope the historians will come
          to consider his defining characteristic.
          Much like Taft, the Presidency was a job that he never
          wanted, but when called to serve, he did so admirably,
          in my opinion.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
            It was ironic that he was lampooned for being clumsy
            because, as far as I know, he was the only President
            to be an All-American athlete, as a Michigan football
            player, no less.
            I have no way of knowing whether the following story
            is true, but I think it's funny:
            Reputedly, after beaning a couple of spectators in a
            golf tournament, Ford was lining up a putt and asked
            his caddy for advice. "Try to keep it low,' was the
            reply.

            Tom