Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: The worst session for Senate leadership changes

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2006
      Very interesting... This came on the heels of the
      Republican-led 'do-nothing congress' that Truman
      outsmarted in '48. I recently heard Norm Ornstein of
      the conservative American Enterprise Institute say
      that the recent Congress was even worse than the 46-48
      congress.

      http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Senate_Membership_Changes_83.htm

> [...]
      > 47D,
      > > 1Ind.)
      > >
      > > August 20:
      > > Senate concluded legislative business for the year
      > > (party balance: 48R, 47D, 1Ind). House adjourned
      > sine
      > > die. Senate returned on November 8 exclusively to
      > > consider censure proceedings against Senator
      > Joseph R.
      > > McCarthy and met from November 8 to 18 and from
      > > November 29-December 2)
      > >
      > > September 1:
      > > Burnet Maybank (D-SC) dies (party balance: 48R,
      > 46D,
      > > 1Ind., 1 vacancy) -- Replaced by Charles Daniel
      > > (D-SC), seated on November 8
      > >
      > > September 28:
      > > Pat McCarran (D-NV) dies (party balance: 48R, 45D,
      > > 1Ind., 2 vacancies) -- Replaced by Ernest Brown
      > > (R-NV), seated November 8
      > >
      > > November 2:
      > > Hazel Abel (R-NE) elected to replace appointed
      > Senator
      > > Eva Bowring (R-NE); Roman Hruska (R-NE) elected to
      > > replace appointed Senator Sam Reynolds (R-NE);
      > Alan
      > > Bible (D-NV) elected to replace appointed Senator
      > > Ernest Brown (R- NV); Norris Cotton (R-NH) elected
      > > replace appointed Senator Robert Upton (R-NH); W.
      > Kerr
      > > Scott (D-NC) elected to replace appointed Senator
      > > Alton Lennon (D-NC); Joseph O'Mahoney (D-WY)
      > elected
      > > to replace appointed Senator Edward Crippa (R-WY);
      > > George Bender (R-OH) elected to replace appointed
      > > Senator Thomas Burke (D-OH) [Bender not seated
      > until
      > > next Congress]
      > >
      > > November 8:
      > > Hazel Abel (R-NE), Ernest Brown (R-NV), Norris
      > Cotton
      > > (R-NH), Charles Daniel (D-SC), and Roman Hruska
      > (R-NE)
      > > seated (party balance: 49R, 45D, 1Ind., 1 vacancy)
      > >
      > > November 9:
      > > W. Kerr Scott (D-NC) seated (party balance: 49R,
      > 46D,
      > > 1Ind.)
      > >
      > > November 29:
      > > Joseph O'Mahoney (D-WY) seated (party balance:
      > 48R,
      > > 47D, 1Ind.)
      > >
      > > December 2:
      > > Alan Bible (D-NV) seated (party balance: 47R, 48D,
      > > 1Ind.) -- Thomas Burke (D-OH) term expires
      > >
      > > December 23:
      > > Charles Daniel (D-SC), appointed to replace Burnet
      > > Maybank, resigned (party balance: 47R, 47D, 1Ind.,
      > 1
      > > vacancy)
      > >
      > > December 24:
      > > J. Strom Thurmond (D-SC) appointed to fill vacancy
      > > caused by resignation of Charles Daniel (D-SC)
      > [but
      > > Thurmond was not seated until the next Congress]
      > > (party balance: 47R, 47D, 1Ind., 1 not yet seated)
      > >
      > > December 31:
      > > Hazel Abel (R-NE) resigned (party balance: 46R,

      === message truncated ===