The worst session for Senate leadership changes

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2006
      http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Senate_Membership_Changes_83.htm

      Membership Changes of 83rd Congress (1953-55)

      The election of 1952 produced a closely divided United
      States Senate, with 48 Republicans, 47 Democrats, and
      one Independent. The Republican party organized the
      Senate in January of 1953, making committee
      assignments, choosing Senate officers, and assigning
      committee chairs. During the 83rd Congress, nine
      senators died and one resigned, shifting the party
      division in the Senate with each new replacement.

      1953

      January 3:
      Senate convenes (party balance: 48R, 47D, 1Ind.)

      June 26:
      Willis Smith (D-NC) dies (party balance: 48R, 46D,
      1Ind., 1 vacancy) -- Replaced by Alton Lennon (D-NC),
      July 15, 1953

      July 15:
      Alton Lennon (D-NC) seated (party balance: 48R, 47D,
      1Ind.)

      July 24:
      Charles W. Tobey (R-NH) dies (party balance: 47R, 47D,
      1Ind., 1 vacancy) -- Replaced by Robert Upton (R-NH),
      January 6, 1954

      July 31:
      Robert A. Taft (R-OH) dies (party balance: 46R, 47D,
      1Ind., 2 vacancies) -- Replaced by Thomas A. Burke
      (D-OH), January 6, 1954

      August 3:
      Sine die adjournment of first session

      1954

      January 6:
      Second session convenes; Senators Upton (R-NH) and
      Burke (D-OH) sworn in (party balance: 47R, 48D, 1Ind.)

      April 12:
      Dwight Griswold (R-NE) dies (party balance: 46R, 48D,
      1Ind., 1 vacancy) -- Replaced by Eva Bowring (R-NE),
      April 26, 1954

      April 26:
      Eva Bowring (R-NE) seated (party balance: 47R, 48D,
      1Ind.)

      May 12:
      Clyde Hoey (D-NC) dies (party balance: 47R, 47D,
      1Ind., 1 vacancy) -- Replaced by Samuel Ervin (D-NC),
      seated June 11, 1954

      June 11:
      Samuel Ervin (D-NC) seated (party balance: 47R, 48D,
      1Ind.)

      June 19:
      Lester Hunt (D-WY) commits suicide (party balance:
      47R, 47D, 1Ind., 1 vacancy) -- Replaced by Edward
      Crippa (R-WY), seated June 28

      June 28:
      Edward Crippa (R-WY) seated (party balance: 48R, 47D,
      1Ind.)

      July 1:
      Hugh Butler (R-NE) dies (party balance: 47R, 47D,
      1Ind., 1 vacancy) -- Replaced by Sam Reynolds (R-NE),
      seated July 7

      July 7:
      Sam Reynolds (R-NE) seated (party balance: 48R, 47D,
      1Ind.)

      August 20:
      Senate concluded legislative business for the year
      (party balance: 48R, 47D, 1Ind). House adjourned sine
      die. Senate returned on November 8 exclusively to
      consider censure proceedings against Senator Joseph R.
      McCarthy and met from November 8 to 18 and from
      November 29-December 2)

      September 1:
      Burnet Maybank (D-SC) dies (party balance: 48R, 46D,
      1Ind., 1 vacancy) -- Replaced by Charles Daniel
      (D-SC), seated on November 8

      September 28:
      Pat McCarran (D-NV) dies (party balance: 48R, 45D,
      1Ind., 2 vacancies) -- Replaced by Ernest Brown
      (R-NV), seated November 8

      November 2:
      Hazel Abel (R-NE) elected to replace appointed Senator
      Eva Bowring (R-NE); Roman Hruska (R-NE) elected to
      replace appointed Senator Sam Reynolds (R-NE); Alan
      Bible (D-NV) elected to replace appointed Senator
      Ernest Brown (R- NV); Norris Cotton (R-NH) elected to
      replace appointed Senator Robert Upton (R-NH); W. Kerr
      Scott (D-NC) elected to replace appointed Senator
      Alton Lennon (D-NC); Joseph O'Mahoney (D-WY) elected
      to replace appointed Senator Edward Crippa (R-WY);
      George Bender (R-OH) elected to replace appointed
      Senator Thomas Burke (D-OH) [Bender not seated until
      next Congress]

      November 8:
      Hazel Abel (R-NE), Ernest Brown (R-NV), Norris Cotton
      (R-NH), Charles Daniel (D-SC), and Roman Hruska (R-NE)
      seated (party balance: 49R, 45D, 1Ind., 1 vacancy)

      November 9:
      W. Kerr Scott (D-NC) seated (party balance: 49R, 46D,
      1Ind.)

      November 29:
      Joseph O'Mahoney (D-WY) seated (party balance: 48R,
      47D, 1Ind.)

      December 2:
      Alan Bible (D-NV) seated (party balance: 47R, 48D,
      1Ind.) -- Thomas Burke (D-OH) term expires

      December 23:
      Charles Daniel (D-SC), appointed to replace Burnet
      Maybank, resigned (party balance: 47R, 47D, 1Ind., 1
      vacancy)

      December 24:
      J. Strom Thurmond (D-SC) appointed to fill vacancy
      caused by resignation of Charles Daniel (D-SC) [but
      Thurmond was not seated until the next Congress]
      (party balance: 47R, 47D, 1Ind., 1 not yet seated)

      December 31:
      Hazel Abel (R-NE) resigned (party balance: 46R, 47D,
      1Ind., 1 vacancy)

      Source: Senate Historical Office
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2006
        That's when the Democrats began to make civil rights an issue. It
        appears that they started losing their super majorities in both houses
        already since the early 50s.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2006
          Very interesting... This came on the heels of the
          Republican-led 'do-nothing congress' that Truman
          outsmarted in '48. I recently heard Norm Ornstein of
          the conservative American Enterprise Institute say
          that the recent Congress was even worse than the 46-48
          congress.

          === message truncated ===