Question about discussion groups

  • Richard Kelly
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2006
      Hello,

      I just re-rejoined, but not to get into a lot of debates
      this time. But I had a question about Yahoo groups policy.

      You see, I was on another discussion group and they have
      very good rules on not saying hateful, over-the-top things
      about an ethnic, religious, etc. group. Very good. So then
      the list owner breaks his own rules and makes a number of
      comments slamming Christians. So, is there some board or
      council or something who I might complain to?

      What got me about this, he made a number of strong comments
      on Dennis Praeger, that Praeger had used a lot of false in-
      formation and that he should be forced off the Holocaust
      Commission. So then, less than 24 hours after condemning
      all forms of hate speech, he does the same thing. Now some
      of you might agree with him, but its the hypocrisy of it all.

      Thanks,

      Richard Kelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 17, 2006
        Hi Richard,

        I once had a similar problem: I was in a group that also had good
        rules on those kinds of things and then the moderator started making
        anti-Catholic comments (about the current Pope being a Nazi). I looked
        around for a way to complain, but couldn't find one. I just left the
        group and thought good riddance. But there is a site to send feedback
        to Yahoo about groups, I guess that might be some help:

        http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/groups/cgi_groups_feedback

        Greg Cannon

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Kelly"
        <richwkelly@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I just re-rejoined, but not to get into a lot of debates
        > this time. But I had a question about Yahoo groups policy.
        >
        > You see, I was on another discussion group and they have
        > very good rules on not saying hateful, over-the-top things
        > about an ethnic, religious, etc. group. Very good. So then
        > the list owner breaks his own rules and makes a number of
        > comments slamming Christians. So, is there some board or
        > council or something who I might complain to?
        >
        > What got me about this, he made a number of strong comments
        > on Dennis Praeger, that Praeger had used a lot of false in-
        > formation and that he should be forced off the Holocaust
        > Commission. So then, less than 24 hours after condemning
        > all forms of hate speech, he does the same thing. Now some
        > of you might agree with him, but its the hypocrisy of it all.
        >

        > Thanks,
        >

        > Richard Kelly

      • Gregory
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2006
          Richard,

          A group moderator can pretty much run his/her group as they see fit,
          and opt for what is in and out, on a whim. There are rules for porn,
          I suspect, for underage kids on Yahoo groups, but other than that I
          am sure there is no one going to enter into a tiff over a free speech
          arguement. I had tried to post a Nixon article about model trains
          that are featured at the RN Library on a Yahoo train site. The
          moderator informed me that this would not be allowed as he saw this
          as political speech. I thought him a fool and left the group. It is
          that simple.

          Gregory

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Richard,
          >
          > I once had a similar problem: I was in a group that also had good
          > rules on those kinds of things and then the moderator started making
          > anti-Catholic comments (about the current Pope being a Nazi). I
          looked
          > around for a way to complain, but couldn't find one. I just left the
          > group and thought good riddance. But there is a site to send
          feedback
          > to Yahoo about groups, I guess that might be some help:
          >
          > http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/groups/cgi_groups_feedback
          >
          > Greg Cannon
          >
          > --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Kelly"
          > <richwkelly@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I just re-rejoined, but not to get into a lot of debates
          > > this time. But I had a question about Yahoo groups policy.
          > >
          > > You see, I was on another discussion group and they have
          > > very good rules on not saying hateful, over-the-top things
          > > about an ethnic, religious, etc. group. Very good. So then
          > > the list owner breaks his own rules and makes a number of
          > > comments slamming Christians. So, is there some board or
          > > council or something who I might complain to?
          > >
          > > What got me about this, he made a number of strong comments
          > > on Dennis Praeger, that Praeger had used a lot of false in-
          > > formation and that he should be forced off the Holocaust
          > > Commission. So then, less than 24 hours after condemning
          > > all forms of hate speech, he does the same thing. Now some
          > > of you might agree with him, but its the hypocrisy of it all.
          > >

          > > Thanks,
          > >

          > > Richard Kelly

        • richard kelly
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 18, 2006
            Thanks, Greg.

            It probably won't do much good, but I'll send an
            email to that address this evening.

            Richard Kelly

            http://mail.yahoo.com