AP: 'Truthiness' Is Named Word of the Year

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2006
      `Truthiness' Is Named Word of the Year
      http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Dec08/0,4670,WordoftheYear,00.html
      Friday, December 08, 2006

      By ADAM GORLICK, Associated Press Writer
      ADVERTISEMENTClick here to find out more!

      SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — After 12 months of naked partisanship on Capitol
      Hill, on cable TV and in the blogosphere, the word of the year for
      2006 is ... "truthiness."

      The word _ if one can call it that _ best summed up 2006, according to
      an online survey by dictionary publisher Merriam-Webster.

      "Truthiness" was credited to Comedy Central satirist Stephen Colbert,
      who defined it as "truth that comes from the gut, not books."

      "We're at a point where what constitutes truth is a question on a lot
      of people's minds, and truth has become up for grabs," said
      Merriam-Webster president John Morse. "`Truthiness' is a playful way
      for us to think about a very important issue."

      Other Top 10 finishers included "war," "insurgent," "sectarian" and
      "corruption." But "truthiness" won 5-to-1, Morse said.

      Colbert, who once derided the folks at Springfield-based
      Merriam-Webster as the "word police" and a bunch of "wordinistas," was
      pleased.

      "Though I'm no fan of reference books and their fact-based agendas, I
      am a fan of anyone who chooses to honor me," he said in an e-mail to
      The Associated Press.

      "And what an honor," he said. "Truthiness now joins the
      lexicographical pantheon with words like `squash,' `merry,' `crumpet,'
      `the,' `xylophone,' `circuitous,' `others' and others."

      Colbert first uttered "truthiness" during an October 2005 broadcast of
      "The Colbert Report," his parody of combative, conservative talk shows.

      Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This
      material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.