CIA role claim in Robert Kennedy killing

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2006
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/6169006.stm

      Tuesday, 21 November 2006, 12:23 GMT

      CIA role claim in Kennedy killing

      New video and photographic evidence that puts three
      senior CIA operatives at the scene of Robert Kennedy's
      assassination has been brought to light.

      The evidence was shown in a report by Shane
      O'Sullivan, broadcast on BBC Newsnight.

      It reveals that the operatives and four unidentified
      associates were at the Ambassador Hotel, Los Angeles
      in the moments before and after the shooting on 5
      June, 1968.

      The CIA had no domestic jurisdiction and some of the
      officers were based in South-East Asia at the time,
      with no reason to be in Los Angeles.

      'Decoy'

      Kennedy had just won the California Democratic primary
      on an anti-War ticket and was set to challenge Nixon
      for the White House when he was shot in a kitchen
      pantry.

      THE CIA CONNECTION

      Are you convinced by the evidence in the report?
      A 24-year-old Palestinian, Sirhan Sirhan, was arrested
      as the lone assassin and notebooks at his house seemed
      to incriminate him.

      However, even under hypnosis, he has never been able
      to remember the shooting and defence psychiatrists
      concluded he was in a trance at the time.

      Witnesses placed Sirhan's gun several feet in front of
      Kennedy but the autopsy showed the fatal shot came
      from one inch behind.

      Dr Herbert Spiegel, a world authority on hypnosis at
      Columbia University, believes Sirhan may have been
      hypnotically programmed to act as a decoy for the real
      assassin.

      Evidence

      The report is the result of a three-year investigation
      by filmmaker Shane O'Sullivan. He reveals new video
      and photographs showing three senior CIA operatives at
      the hotel.

      Three of these men have been positively identified as
      senior officers who worked together in 1963 at JMWAVE,
      the CIA's Miami base for its Secret War on Castro.

      David Morales was Chief of Operations and once told
      friends:

      "I was in Dallas when we got the son of a bitch and I
      was in Los Angeles when we got the little bastard."

      Gordon Campbell was Chief of Maritime Operations and
      George Joannides was Chief of Psychological Warfare
      Operations.

      Joannides was called out of retirement in 1978 to act
      as the CIA liaison to the Congressional investigation
      into the JFK assassination. Now, we see him at the
      Ambassador Hotel the night a second Kennedy is
      assassinated.

      Monday, 20 November would have been Bobby Kennedy's
      81st birthday. In Los Angeles, his son Max has just
      broken ground on a new high-school project in memory
      of his father on the old Ambassador Hotel site.

      Paul Schrade, a key figure behind the school project,
      was walking behind Robert Kennedy that night and was
      shot in the head. He believes this new evidence merits
      fresh investigation:

      "It seems very strange to me that these guys would be
      at a Kennedy celebration. What were they doing there?
      And why were they there? It's our obligation as
      friends of Bob Kennedy to investigate this."

      Ed Lopez, a former Congressional investigator who
      worked with Joannides in 1978, says:

      "I think the key people at the CIA need to go back to
      anybody who might have been around back then, bring
      them in and interview them, and ask - is this Gordon
      Campbell? Is this George Joannides?"

      This report was shown on Newsnight on Monday, 20
      November, 2006.