Rep. Rangel Will Seek to Reinstate Draft

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2006
      In my opinion, this is the kind of stupidity that
      should make liberals look more carefully at Democrats
      before voting for them. He might be right that this
      would keep Congress from getting us into more wars,
      but I do not believe that this means justifies that
      end. Forcing someone to do a job they do not want to
      do, whether it's active military duty or is at "our
      seaports, our airports, in schools, in hospitals," is
      wrong. And the draft did not keep politicians from
      getting us into Vietnam. He may be overestimating our
      politicians' care for their kids. And even if he tries
      to design this draft as fool-proof so that rich kids
      cannot weasel out of it, I bet he will fail. I bet
      that will still happen, one way or another.

      And from the Democratic party's strategic point of
      view, any kid that gets drafted because of a
      Democratic Congress is very likely to vote Republican
      the first chance they get.

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/19/AR2006111900376_pf.html

      Rep. Rangel Will Seek to Reinstate Draft

      By JOHN HEILPRIN
      The Associated Press
      Sunday, November 19, 2006; 1:31 PM

      WASHINGTON -- Americans would have to sign up for a
      new military draft after turning 18 if the incoming
      chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee has his
      way.

      Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., said Sunday he sees his
      idea as a way to deter politicians from launching wars
      and to bolster U.S. troop levels insufficient to cover
      potential future action in Iran, North Korea and Iraq.

      "There's no question in my mind that this president
      and this administration would never have invaded Iraq,
      especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented
      to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members
      of Congress and the administration thought that their
      kids from their communities would be placed in harm's
      way," Rangel said.

      Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War who has
      unsuccessfully sponsored legislation on conscription
      in the past, said he will propose a measure early next
      year.

      In 2003, he proposed a measure covering people age 18
      to 26. This year, he offered a plan to mandate
      military service for men and women between age 18 and
      42; it went nowhere in the Republican-led Congress.

      Democrats will control the House and Senate come
      January because of their victories in the Nov. 7
      election.

      At a time when some lawmakers are urging the military
      to send more troops to Iraq, "I don't see how anyone
      can support the war and not support the draft," said
      Rangel, who also proposed a draft in January 2003,
      before the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

      Sen. Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican who
      is a colonel in the U.S. Air Force Standby Reserve,
      said he agreed that the U.S. does not have enough
      people in the military.

      "I think we can do this with an all-voluntary service,
      all-voluntary Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy.
      And if we can't, then we'll look for some other
      option," said Graham, who is assigned as a reserve
      judge to the Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals.

      Rangel, the next chairman of the House tax-writing
      committee, said he worried the military was being
      strained by its overseas commitments.

      "If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North
      Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send
      more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a
      draft," Rangel said.

      He said having a draft would not necessarily mean
      everyone called to duty would have to serve. Instead,
      "young people (would) commit themselves to a couple of
      years in service to this great republic, whether it's
      our seaports, our airports, in schools, in hospitals,"
      with a promise of educational benefits at the end of
      service.

      Graham said he believes the all-voluntary military
      "represents the country pretty well in terms of ethnic
      makeup, economic background."

      Repeated polls have shown that about seven in 10
      Americans oppose reinstatement of the draft and
      officials say they do not expect to restart
      conscription.

      Outgoing Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told
      Congress in June 2005 that "there isn't a chance in
      the world that the draft will be brought back."

      Yet the prospect of the long global fight against
      terrorism and the continuing U.S. commitment to
      stabilizing Iraq have kept the idea in the public's
      mind.

      The military drafted conscripts during the Civil War,
      both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. An agency
      independent of the Defense Department, the Selective
      Service System trains, keeps an updated registry of
      men age 18-25 _ now about 16 million _ from which to
      supply untrained draftees that would supplement the
      professional all-volunteer armed forces.

      Rangel and Graham appeared on "Face the Nation" on
      CBS.

      ___

      On the Net:

      Selective Service System: http://www.sss.gov
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2006
        I wonder if his obsession with reinstating the military draft over the
        years has anything to do with how he ended up in Korea back in the
        Truman days.