Start U.S. Iraq withdrawal in 4-6 months: Democrats

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2006
      I have trouble believing it will actually happen, but
      here's what they said:

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061112/pl_nm/iraq_usa_democrats_dc_1

      Start U.S. Iraq withdrawal in 4-6 months: Democrats

      36 minutes ago

      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats, who won majorities
      in the U.S. Congress in last week's elections, said on
      Sunday they will push for a phased withdrawal of U.S.
      troops from Iraq to begin in four to six months.

      "The first order of business is to change the
      direction of Iraq policy," said Sen. Carl Levin (news,
      bio, voting record), a Michigan Democrat who is
      expected to be chairman of the Senate Armed Services
      Committee in the new Congress.

      Levin, on ABC's "This Week," said he hoped some
      Republicans would emerge to join Democrats and press
      the administration of President George W. Bush to tell
      the Iraqi government that U.S. presence was "not
      open-ended."

      Bush has insisted that U.S. troops would not leave
      Iraq until the Iraqis were able to take over security
      for their country.

      "We need to begin a phased redeployment of forces from
      Iraq in four to six months," Levin said.

      Speaking on the same program, Sen. Joseph Biden (news,
      bio, voting record), a Delaware Democrat who is
      expected to head the Senate Foreign Relations
      Committee, said he supported Levin's proposal for a
      withdrawal.