Democrats win control of Senate, AP reports

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2006
      Democrats win control of Senate, AP reports
      http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/08/election.main/index.html

      WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Democratic takeover of the Senate is appearing
      likely after an ongoing canvass of votes in Virginia produced no
      significant changes in the outcome of the hard-fought race led by
      Democratic challenger Jim Webb, sources told CNN Wednesday.

      Wednesday night, with Webb leading Republican Sen. George Allen by
      about 7,200 votes and the canvass about half complete, The Associated
      Press declared Webb the winner.

      CNN does not declare a winner when race results are less than 1
      percent and the potential loser may request a recount vote. (Full
      Senate news)

      A source close to Allen also told CNN that the senator "has no
      intention of dragging this out."

      Meanwhile, a Webb aide told CNN that he plans a formal news conference
      Thursday morning to declare victory.

      A victory by Webb would put the new Senate lineup at 49 Democrats, 49
      Republicans and two independents -- Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Joe
      Lieberman of Connecticut -- who have said they would caucus with the
      Democrats.

      That would give the Democrats the 51 votes they need to claim a
      majority for the first time since 2002.

      A source close to Allen told CNN that the initial state review will be
      finished Thursday, because it is "wrapping up sooner rather than
      later" with very little dent in Webb's lead.

      While stopping just short of saying Allen will concede, the source
      said it is a "daunting proposition" for the senator to overcome Webb's
      lead.

      President Bush and Democratic leaders Wednesday were talking up a new
      era of cooperation -- but warned neither would roll over for the other.

      As control of the House moves to the Democrats, Bush said immigration
      and minimum wage measures were areas of common ground to discuss when
      he meets Democratic speaker-to-be Nancy Pelosi Thursday.

      "We can work together over the next two years," the president said.

      But he added: "She's not going to abandon her principles, and I'm not
      going to abandon mine. But I do believe we have an opportunity to find
      some common ground to move forward on."

      Pelosi, in line to be first female Speaker of the House, told CNN:
      "Democrats are ready to lead, prepared to govern and absolutely
      willing to work in a bipartisan way." (Pelosi's ambitions on breaking
      the marble ceiling 12:45 Video)

      She has previously said a Democratic-led Congress will not be a rubber
      stamp for the White House. On Wednesday, she said she hopes there will
      be cooperation with congressional investigations -- part of the
      checks-and-balances system built into the Constitution.

      Pelosi early Wednesday repeated a call for Defense Secretary Donald
      Rumsfeld to go, and just hours later the president announced his loyal
      aide was resigning -- a decision Bush said was made before the election.

      "The president got the message, thank heavens," Pelosi said. "I think
      it signals a new change, I hope for the better, in Iraq."

      Bush nominated Robert Gates to fill Rumsfeld's vacancy. Gates is an
      ex-CIA chief who also worked on the Iraq Study Group, a bipartisan
      panel that is making recommendations to Bush on how to proceed in
      Iraq. (Full story)

      If the Virginia result is confirmed, Democrats will take over the
      Senate and the House of Representatives in January, and Bush said he
      would work with whomever was in charge. ( Watch to see what Bush's
      first bipartisan act was after the election -- 2:44)

      Bush admitted he was disappointed with Tuesday's results and took his
      share of responsibility as party leader.

      But he looked forward rather than back. "The message yesterday was
      clear: The American people want their leaders in Washington to set
      aside partisan differences, conduct ourselves in an ethical manner and
      work together to address the challenges facing our nation."
      The Iraq question

      Pelosi, who voted against invading Iraq, said the Democrats' victory
      meant the American people were calling for a "new direction."

      And she was adamant about a new direction for the war in Iraq. "This
      is something that we must work on together with the president. We know
      that 'stay the course' is not working," she said.

      Bush countered by saying his leadership style will not change.

      "I'm still going to try to speak plainly about what I think are the
      important priorities of the country, and winning this war on terror is
      by far the most important priority," he said.

      "And making sure this economy continues to grow is an important
      priority. And making sure our children have a good education is an
      important priority."

      Bush also called House Speaker Dennis Hastert to thank him for his
      hard work. Hastert is not expected to seek a leadership role in the
      new Congress. (Read latest House story)
      Other developments:

      # With more voters than ever using electronic voting machines,
      scattered glitches reported across the country prompted officials to
      extend voting hours in some areas. (Full story)

      # Six governorships changed from Republican to Democratic hands
      Tuesday, giving Democrats control of a majority of the top state posts
      for the first time in 12 years. (Governor races)

      # Also appearing on state ballots were dozens of referendums, some
      dealing with issues such as same-sex marriage and abortion. (Ballot
      initiatives)

      CNN's John King, Dana Bash and Ed Henry contributed to this report.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2006
        After this election, you won't have Conrad Burns and George Allen to
        kick around anymore.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2006
          not to mention Tom Delay....