Heckler Assaulted at George Allen Event

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061031/D8L3SP200.html

      Heckler Subdued at George Allen Event

      Oct 31, 5:21 PM (ET)

      By BOB LEWIS

      RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - A heckler who confronted Sen.
      George Allen at a campaign appearance Tuesday was put
      in a chokehold and slammed to the floor by three of
      the Republican's supporters in an incident captured on
      video.

      Mike Stark, a liberal blogger and first-year
      University of Virginia law student, approached Allen
      at an event in Charlottesville, loudly asking, "Why
      did you spit at your first wife, George?" according to
      witnesses.

      Three men, all wearing blue Allen lapel stickers,
      immediately grabbed Stark, dragged him backward and
      slung him to the carpet outside a hotel meeting room,
      according to video captured by WVIR-TV in
      Charlottesville.

      Stark said later in a telephone interview with The
      Associated Press: "I am a constituent. I am allowed to
      ask my U.S. senator questions."

      A new statewide poll conducted for CNN showed Allen's
      Democratic challenger, former Navy Secretary Jim Webb,
      with a slight lead in a bitterly contested race that
      could help determine whether the GOP retains control
      of the Senate.

      In a Monday posting on "Calling All Wingnuts," the
      blog Stark publishes, he hinted that he would attempt
      to provoke Allen before the TV cameras.

      "Im also trying to 'Roger and Me' George Allen
      whenever I can," Stark wrote, referring to director
      Michael Moore's 1989 documentary in which he
      repeatedly tried to confront former General Motors'
      chief executive Roger Smith about the company's
      downsizing.

      In August, Stark similarly approached Allen after a
      speech at a hotel near Staunton, loudly asking if he
      had ever used a common six-letter epithet against
      blacks.

      That was two weeks after Allen, at a rally, referred
      to a Webb volunteer of Indian descent as "Macaca,"
      which is considered by some to be a racial slur.