Washington Times: Resign, Mr. Speaker

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
      http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20061002-102008-9058r.htm

      Resign, Mr. Speaker

      TODAY'S EDITORIAL
      October 3, 2006

      The facts of the disgrace of Mark Foley, who was a
      Republican member of the House from a Florida district
      until he resigned last week, constitute a disgrace for
      every Republican member of Congress. Red flags emerged
      in late 2005, perhaps even earlier, in suggestive and
      wholly inappropriate e-mail messages to underage
      congressional pages. His aberrant, predatory -- and
      possibly criminal -- behavior was an open secret among
      the pages who were his prey. The evidence was strong
      enough long enough ago that the speaker should have
      relieved Mr. Foley of his committee responsibilities
      contingent on a full investigation to learn what had
      taken place, whether any laws had been violated and
      what action, up to and including prosecution, were
      warranted by the facts. This never happened.
      Rep. John Shimkus of Illinois, the Republican
      chairman of the House Page Board, said he learned
      about the Foley e-mail messages "in late 2005." Rep.
      John Boehner of Ohio, the leader of the Republican
      majority, said he was informed of the e-mail messages
      earlier this year. On Friday, Mr. Hastert dissembled,
      to put it charitably, before conceding that he, too,
      learned about the e-mail messages sometime earlier
      this year. Late yesterday afternoon, Mr. Hastert
      insisted that he learned of the most flagrant
      instant-message exchange from 2003 only last Friday,
      when it was reported by ABC News. This is irrelevant.
      The original e-mail messages were warning enough that
      a predator -- and, incredibly, the co-chairman of the
      House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children --
      could be prowling the halls of Congress. The matter
      wasn't pursued aggressively. It was barely pursued at
      all. Moreover, all available evidence suggests that
      the Republican leadership did not share anything
      related to this matter with any Democrat.
      Now the scandal must unfold on the front pages of
      the newspapers and on the television screens, as
      transcripts of lewd messages emerge and doubts are
      rightly raised about the forthrightness of the
      Republican stewards of the 109th Congress. Some
      Democrats are attempting to make this "a Republican
      scandal," and they shouldn't; Democrats have
      contributed more than their share of characters in the
      tawdry history of congressional sexual scandals.
      Sexual predators come in all shapes, sizes and
      partisan hues, in institutions within and without
      government. When predators are found they must be
      dealt with, forcefully and swiftly. This time the
      offender is a Republican, and Republicans can't simply
      "get ahead" of the scandal by competing to make the
      most noise in calls for a full investigation. The time
      for that is long past.
      House Speaker Dennis Hastert must do the only
      right thing, and resign his speakership at once.
      Either he was grossly negligent for not taking the red
      flags fully into account and ordering a swift
      investigation, for not even remembering the order of
      events leading up to last week's revelations -- or he
      deliberately looked the other way in hopes that a
      brewing scandal would simply blow away. He gave phony
      answers Friday to the old and ever-relevant questions
      of what did he know and when did he know it? Mr.
      Hastert has forfeited the confidence of the public and
      his party, and he cannot preside over the necessary
      coming investigation, an investigation that must
      examine his own inept performance.
      A special, one-day congressional session should
      elect a successor. We nominate Rep. Henry Hyde, also
      of Illinois, the chairman of the House International
      Relations Committee whose approaching retirement
      ensures that he has no dog in this fight. He has a
      long and principled career, and is respected on both
      sides of the aisle. Mr. Hyde would preside over the
      remaining three months of the 109th Congress in a
      manner best suited for a full and exhaustive
      investigation until a new speaker for the 110th
      Congress is elected in January, who can assume
      responsibility for the investigation.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
        For once I agree with the Times.. The Repub leadership
        left a gay pedophile in the position to prey on
        children rather than risk giving up any of their
        power. Tomorrow we will learn that Foley donated
        $100,000 to Repub party when his behavior came to the
        attention of the leadership. I've gained respect for
        the Times today.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
          Matthews just compared the recent events to the last days of the Roman
          empire. He must still feel sore about his vote for Bush back in 2000.

          Ram

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
            Let's not forget that in the last week or so, we've
            had the NIE and the Woodward book debunking almost
            every claim that Bush et all have made regarding what
            a great job they are doing on the war on terror.