Possible House majority leader wants to repeal 22nd amendment

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2006
      I was looking into unsuccessful attempts to amend the
      U.S. constitution, and I noticed on Wikipedia that
      "Repeal proposed February 2005 by Maryland congressman
      Steny Hoyer. The amendment limits the president to two
      terms in office."

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proposed_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

      If you haven't heard of Hoyer, he is currently the
      House Minority Whip, Nancy Pelosi's second-in-command.
      I've read elsewhere (sorry, I don't have a link) that
      if by some chance the Democrats win the House this
      November, Pelosi is to be voted Speaker of the House.
      The Democrats will need a new Majority Leader and the
      two candidates are Steny Hoyer and Jack Murtha (the
      guy from Pennsylvania who's recently been talking up a
      withdrawl from Iraq). I knew nothing about Hoyer till
      this morning when I saw that sentence on Wikipedia. He
      proposed repealing the 22nd amendment back in February
      2005, and this is confirmed on his website:

      http://democraticwhip.house.gov/media/press.cfm?pressReleaseID=1028

      I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly
      support the 22nd amendment. 8 years is enough for
      anyone. I don't know enough about Murtha to be sure
      he'd be a good Majority Leader, but I don't like the
      idea of Hoyer doing that (not that I have a voice in
      the process of course, I'm just whining online to you
      all). What do you all think, should presidents be
      allowed third terms?