District 23 race has crowded field

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
      http://www.elpasotimes.com/breakingnews/ci_4393537

      09/25/2006 11:16:00 AM MDT

      District 23 race has crowded field (11:16 a.m.)
      By Ramon Bracamontes / El Paso Times

      For a year now, El Pasoan and congressional candidate
      Rick Bolanos has been working to unseat U.S. Rep.
      Henry Bonilla, R-San Antonio, in the November
      elections. Bolanos was looking forward to one-on-one
      debates after winning the Democratic nomination.

      Now, after a Supreme Court ruling ordered
      congressional district 23 redrawn, Bolanos find
      himself in an eight-man race. The election is November
      7.

      “I won the Democratic primary, and I've been
      campaigning for a year,” said Bolanos, a native El
      Pasoan who is most famous for being one of four
      brothers who served in Vietnam together. “Now,
      everyone else who was afraid of Bonilla before, has
      jumped in.”

      Bonilla has been representing the San Antonio-Permian
      Basin-El Paso area for 14 years. District 23 starts on
      the West Side of San Antonio and ends on El Paso's
      East Side. It spans more than 700 miles and 20
      counties.

      In El Paso, the district encompasses seven precincts
      which total about 20,000 voters. However, very few of
      them vote; therefore, the Congressman from this
      district has always been from San Antonio.

      Bolanos, a former teacher, is trying to change that.

      “I have have been spending 90 percent of my time in
      San Antonio,” he said. “As we get closer to the
      election, I will spend 96 percent of my time there.”

      Bolanos said the key to winning is getting those who
      support the independent governor candidates, Carole
      Keeton Strayhorn and Kinky Friedman, to vote for him.
      He is also working to maintain a Democratic base.

      Phil Ricks, the campaign spokesman for Bonilla, said
      the seven challengers and the redrawn district will
      not hurt Bonilla's re-election bid.

      “He is excited about representing a portion of San
      Antonio where he grew up and where his mother lives,”
      Ricks said.

      In August, a federal three-judge panel redrew five
      congressional districts in Texas after a Supreme Court
      ruling that said a 2003 redistricting of Texas'
      congressional map created a 23rd District that
      violated the Voting Rights Act by diluting Hispanic
      voting strength.

      The redrawn district gave candidates a chance to run
      in November, even if they didn't run in the March
      primary. If none of the eight candidates gets more
      than 50 percent of the vote, a runoff will be held
      among the top two vote-getters.

      Here are the candidates:

      August G. "Augie" Beltran, 58, Democrat from San
      Antonio. He is a business consultant.

      Rick Bolanos, 57, Democrat. He is a native El Pasoan
      who served in Vietnam and was a teacher in the El Paso
      and Ysleta school districts.

      Henry Bonilla, 52, Republican-incumbent. He has been
      in office for 14 years. He was first elected in 1992,
      a former television news reporter he is now the
      Chairman of the House Agriculture Appropriations
      Subcommittee.

      Adrian DeLeon, 31, Democrat from Carrizo Springs,
      Texas. He was raised and educated in the small
      ranching town just east of Eagle Pass, Texas.

      Lukin Gilliland, 54, Democrat from San Antonio. He is
      Managing Director of Aquila Capital Ventures, and a
      Director of Heart Tail Ranches, a 136-year-old family
      ranch with horse, cattle, and hunting operations.

      Ciro Rodriguez, Democrat, from San Antonio. He has
      served in public office for 30 years, first as a
      school board member, then as a member of the Texas
      House of Representatives, and the United States House
      of Representatives.

      Albert Uresti, 51, Democrat from San Antonio. A
      retired district chief with the San Antonio Fire
      Department and also worked as a city manager.

      Craig T. Stephens, 47, Independent from San Antonio.
      He is a retired U.S. Navy, Command Master Chief with
      more than 20 years of Military Service.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
        Is that your district, Greg?

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006
          No, but it's next to mine. I'm particularly interested as it contains
          parts of El Paso as well as San Antonio, where I have family, but also
          because it's such an odd situation created by all the gerrymandering
          and lawsuits. I'm in District 16, represented by Silvestre Reyes,
          whose only opponent this year is a Libertarian.

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006
            That's too bad about district 23.. kinda like the
            governor's race.. the dumbest guv in the country is
            probably going to get re-elected because he was so
            vulnerable that he drew too many independent
            candidates.. could be a good strategy but he isn't
            smart enough to come up with it.

            Tom