Text of Pope's apology

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2006
      I am still confused. He is "deeply sorry for the
      reactions in some countries to a few passages of my
      address" but is he deeply sorry for making his
      original statement? But at least those particular
      quotes in his original statement "do not in any way
      express my personal thought."

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5353774.stm

      Sunday, 17 September 2006, 11:03 GMT 12:03 UK
      Text of Pope's apology
      The following is the text of Pope Benedict XVI's
      remarks regretting causing offence to Muslims in his
      12 September speech in the Bavarian city of
      Regensburg.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters,

      The pastoral visit which I recently made to Bavaria
      was a deep spiritual experience, bringing together
      personal memories linked to places well known to me
      and pastoral initiatives towards an effective
      proclamation of the Gospel for today.

      I thank God for the interior joy which he made
      possible, and I am also grateful to all those who
      worked hard for the success of this Pastoral Visit.

      As is the custom, I will speak more of this during
      next Wednesday's general audience.

      At this time, I wish also to add that I am deeply
      sorry for the reactions in some countries to a few
      passages of my address at the University of
      Regensburg, which were considered offensive to the
      sensibility of Muslims.

      These in fact were a quotation from a medieval text,
      which do not in any way express my personal thought.

      Yesterday, the Cardinal Secretary of State published a
      statement in this regard in which he explained the
      true meaning of my words.

      I hope that this serves to appease hearts and to
      clarify the true meaning of my address, which in its
      totality was and is an invitation to frank and sincere
      dialogue, with great mutual respect.